• Subscribe
  • Why I'm never coding a marketing site again. EVER

Wilson Wilson
    3 replies
    When we started building https://senja.io, I had the brilliant idea of coding our marketing website from scratch. I've always preferred having control over every element on a site. Building the site myself would mean having unlimited flexibility concerning design, performance, SEO etc. My only limitation would be my skillset. The moment I got a marketing cofounder though, everything went downhill very quickly. He handles marketing, so he needed the power to control the site's structure, copy and design. If he wanted to update a little text on the website, he'd have to message me. Then I'd drop what I'm doing, and make the update. He couldn't create pages or blog posts on his own. He'd need to write the copy, send it to me and I'd build the page. As his requests increased, things became a drag very quickly. I thought, no problem! I was still hell-bent on coding the website myself, so I decided I'd build with the 🌈Jamstack™️ > Jamstack is an architectural approach that decouples the web experience layer from data and business logic. To simplify, we have a database with all our website content in a friendly UI, and the marketing website would just pull from that. That way, my cofounder could update the site without touching the code. By integrating a CMS, he would have control over all the site's content and there'd be much less back and forth. Even though it helped for a while, **this didn't solve the problem.** Building a rapidly changing site with the Jamstack has been nothing but a pain. - I have to reinvent the wheel for literally _everything_. Basic SEO, animations, performance, structure, navigation, image optimisation etc. - Building new things is just horrible. I have to constantly worry about backwards compatibility. I also have to create + maintain new components for the smallest additions. Rebuilding our landing (https://senja.io/blog/should-i-change-my-landing-page) page has proven to me beyond a doubt that coding a marketing site from scratch is just a really bad idea. At first I thought it was cool. Now it's just a pain and is keeping me from doing the thing I want to be doing. Actually improving my product. For a scrappy MVP, it might be worth it. But once things start to scale you'll get into trouble _very_ quickly. Just use Webflow/Framer/whatever floats your boat. You'll save so much time in the long run.

Replies

Obiajulu Onyema
    I faced this same problem at the last startup that I worked at. Not that I am building my product, I have decided to use Super.So for both the website and the CMS. Thanks for sharing your story.
    Kerem
    what is your favorite solution for the long run?