Your riskiest moment in your career/business was...

Yesterday I asked this question: "What was your riskiest moment in your career or business?" Most of you answered: "To switch from 9 to 5 job or switch from employment to business." I feel you guys. It brings a lot of uncertainty into the life. I was there also and realised what brought me there to be more free: ➡️ Starting with some project in your leisure time (ideally something that you love/kind of hobby that solves any problem). ➡️ Start with that project as soon as possible. (Ideally when you are at school or university because you do not have so many responsibilities as adults.) What are your findings?

Replies

InnerSynergyX
Yes, changing the field and taking up new challenge
Markk Tong
It's great to hear your perspective on the riskiest moments in our careers or businesses. I completely agree that making the switch from a 9 to 5 job to pursuing your own business can be incredibly daunting.
Resigned from JPMorgan shortly after my graduation, without a second job option. Now when I look back I only regret that I didn't leave earlier. Plain - I know. My career had been quite smooth and lucky lol
Business Marketing with Nika
@kissonlin Anyway, JPMorgan is a good company in a portfolio. :-D Very well recognized. At least, it makes credit in a resume.
@busmark_w_nika I then joined Facebook after a few months being unemployed, worked there for 6 years, then joined TikTok as the global monetization strategy director, then started my own company (https://mindos.com) in Jan 2022, building AI agent platform. lol
@kissonlin I think that working for such huge companies as Facebook and TikTok is a big thing because you can see many cases that are good pillars for your own business. I mean... You are not so surprised by some situations because you probably experienced them in previous companies. IMHO, It is like preparation school for running your own successful company.
@busmark_w_nika Indeed! I learnt some best practices like how to grow products, how to grow teams, how to manage, how to go 0->1, how to analyze data, etc. And most importantly, I got to know many interesting people, who I keep learning from.
Eugene Yarovoii
Understanding the need to start huge business changes...
Muhammad Zulqarnain
When we decided we should do entrepreneurship rather than a stable job.
I completely resonate with the sentiment of taking the leap from a 9 to 5 job to pursuing a business. It's definitely a risky move, but one that can lead to incredible freedom and fulfillment.
Rahul Mishra
I'm not doing any business but I did take risk in terms of changing career. First changing from teaching Physics to Yoga then coming into coding. Then I changed from being data scientist to Head of Product Development. Now I enjoy taking risk actually. To keep this continue, I keep learning something new.
@yogi_rahul Wow, were you a yoga instructor? Me as well! :-) Have you been to Rishikesh?
Rahul Mishra
@busmark_w_nika Wow, glad to meet someone with same background :-) . And yes, I was in Rishikesh, I taught 200, 300 Hr YTT for one year in Ayuskama Ayurveda Yoga School.
Nguyễn Minh Thức
Oh!!! Great lah!!
Huynh Trinh
@wayong Are you Malay? Lol
Nguyễn Minh Thức
@trinhdhuynh To be honest, I had worked with Singaporean for 2 years and so I learnt some Slangs from them HAHA
Ruslan.D
of course when i started indie project and left old job ))
Pierson Marks
Leaving my job as a Software Engineer at Amazon to start Jellypod AI! Haven't launched on PH yet but planning on it next week. But we did just launch a 100% free tool for other builders called Tool Explorer! It launched today!
Duy Hùynh
Oh!!! Great lah!!
Sebastian Galindo
That makes sense, but usually when you are at school you have different priorities. Starting a company is super tough and it does not guarantee financial freedom. It can create lots of chaos financially actually, but if done right, it can be massive. The second you know you have to start your company and go all in, is the second you won't ask anyone. You'll just know :)
PRIYANKA MANDAL
Hey Nika, totally relate to the switch from 9 to 5 or employment to business major leap of faith.
Mansi Trivedi
I started working when I was in first year of college itself. It was scarry at first but it's fun now plus I have 3 years of experience over my peers! Totally worth it!
Bertalan Kozma
Honestly, as an 18-year-old, I didn't have many risky moments in my "career". However, about a year ago, when I first started an online business, I invested all my saved money into the project. I was afraid of losing the money, but I was even more afraid of not even trying. With hard work, I managed to make that business profitable. Based on my (limited) experience, taking smaller or bigger risks from time to time as an entrepreneur is essential. Even if things don't work out, these are great learning opportunities.
Hiep Nguyen
Amidst widespread unemployment, I took a calculated risk by switching jobs. Despite financial uncertainties and societal pressure, the decision proved transformative. Embracing change during adversity, I found a fulfilling role that reinforced the power of resilience and the potential for remarkable rewards in the face of calculated risks.
John Michael
Fitz Dupuy