Will podcasts and videos eventually replace books or diminish their value?

Balkrishna Karma
7 replies
For me, if I want to learn any new thing, the first thing I do is watch a video on Youtube from a credible source. Previously, it was the book. Although the video has not replaced books totally, if I still want to go in-depth on any topic, I prefer books. However, I do feel that there value has been diminishing. What about you?

Replies

Biljana Vulicevic
Videos are useful in today’s world because they’re dynamic, present the information visually, making it easier to understand complex concepts. They’re also a great way to get a quick info overview on a subject and to get some direction for your research, while books offer you a more in-depth knowledge. I find that combining the two gives the best learning results and that books will always stay relevant.
Kseniya Avtukhovich
I agree that videos and podcasts have become a popular medium for learning, especially with the abundance of credible sources available online. However, I still value books for their in-depth analysis and comprehensive coverage of a topic. In my opinion, videos and podcasts serve as a good starting point for learning, but books will always hold their value in providing a more in-depth understanding of a topic.
Balkrishna Karma
@kseniya_avtukhovich totally agree Kseniya. Books are important for in-depth understanding of a topic.
Peyt Spencer Dewar
Books have their place alongside videos and podcasts, especially when you need a break from screens.
I think depends on the type of information you're trying to learn, as well as your learning style. Videos are a great tool for learning because they provide visual demonstrations and explanations. While books tend to be more detailed than videos, allowing you to delve deeper into a topic.
Sophie Coe
I also think the boom in audio-books has meant i've switched to a different medium rather than giving up books!
Golfo Vasiliou
I personally prefer a written format when learning(whether it's print or digital). I like that I can quickly scan a paragraph before deciding if I should read it or not.