Will podcasts and videos eventually replace books or diminish their value?

Balkrishna Karma
7 replies
For me, if I want to learn any new thing, the first thing I do is watch a video on Youtube from a credible source. Previously, it was the book. Although the video has not replaced books totally, if I still want to go in-depth on any topic, I prefer books. However, I do feel that there value has been diminishing. What about you?

Replies

Sophie Coe
I also think the boom in audio-books has meant i've switched to a different medium rather than giving up books!
Kseniya Avtukhovich
I agree that videos and podcasts have become a popular medium for learning, especially with the abundance of credible sources available online. However, I still value books for their in-depth analysis and comprehensive coverage of a topic. In my opinion, videos and podcasts serve as a good starting point for learning, but books will always hold their value in providing a more in-depth understanding of a topic.
Balkrishna Karma
@kseniya_avtukhovich totally agree Kseniya. Books are important for in-depth understanding of a topic.
Peyt Spencer Dewar
Books have their place alongside videos and podcasts, especially when you need a break from screens.
I think depends on the type of information you're trying to learn, as well as your learning style. Videos are a great tool for learning because they provide visual demonstrations and explanations. While books tend to be more detailed than videos, allowing you to delve deeper into a topic.
Golfo Vasiliou
I personally prefer a written format when learning(whether it's print or digital). I like that I can quickly scan a paragraph before deciding if I should read it or not.
Biljana Vulicevic
Videos are useful in today’s world because they’re dynamic, present the information visually, making it easier to understand complex concepts. They’re also a great way to get a quick info overview on a subject and to get some direction for your research, while books offer you a more in-depth knowledge. I find that combining the two gives the best learning results and that books will always stay relevant.