• Subscribe
  • Why is Bootstrap CSS framework getting less and less popular?

Two Heads
    8 replies
    I mainly see people creating Saas using Tailwind, DaisyUI, etc

Replies

Derek Liu
    I used to rely on Bootstrap for its responsive features a long time ago. However, with the huge advances in web development, like HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, and modern web frameworks, responsive design has become much easier with pure CSS. Additionally, frameworks that embrace concepts like MVC and component-based architecture, offering various UI components and themes, have made it simpler for developers to manage projects without needing Bootstrap or jQuery. Yes, jQuery shares the same fate as Bootstrap.
    Uldis
    There are other options out there. Given the choice, some people will choose something else.
    murph
    I think the whole point is that you're not memorizing a whole library of components, but rather a framework for thinking about modular design elements. Tailwind is designed to be flexible first, not something that has to be overwritten to be customized.
    Two Heads
    @duffdevone hmm that makes sense. Do you know any libraries for Bootstrap that do make Bootstrap more flexible?
    murph
    @twoheads I do not. Though I would consider tailwind the library for making vanilla css simpler and more flexible.
    Christopher Anderson
    Bootstrap still has its place, but devs want more flexibility these days. Tailwind lets you customize everything to match your design system. Plus newer component frameworks play nicer with modern frontend stacks. Bootstrap's opinionated styles and bloated file size are showing their age. Not surprised to see folks moving on to sleeker options.
    Jasper Miles Hawkins
    Tailwind CSS's flexibility and performance advantages over Bootstrap's opinionated nature are definitely contributing factors. Plus devs want more control over their designs these days and prefer component-based frameworks. Bootstrap's larger file size doesn't help its case either in modern web dev workflows.