• Subscribe
  • What stage of problem-solving do you gravitate towards?

Grace Hur
    8 replies
    I love FourSight's approach to problem-solving. They break down problem-solving into four main steps. 1. Clarify the problem. 2. Ideate solutions. 3. Develop a viable solution. 4. Implement your course of action. Often times, individuals gravitate towards one (or a combination of some) step. Which of these do you gravitate towards? (P.S., no judgement! All steps are important. )

Replies

Fabian Maume
    I like Ideating and Developing. I usually leverage ASIT and TRIZ methodology for it.
    Fabian Maume
    @gracehur Not sure that the acronyms will help: ASIT: Advanced Structured Innovation thinking TRIZ: теория решения изобретательских задач£ You can check the chapter 1.2 to have a quick overview of both method: https://is.muni.cz/th/426897/esf_m/
    Grace Hur
    @fabian_maume thank you for sharing! Convergent and divergent thinking are key 🔑 I don’t recognize those acronyms - do you mind elaborating?
    Maria Noemi Hernandez
    I like the combination of clarifying and ideating. I'm a person who likes to know the origin of the problem and understand the different points of view regarding a situation. But what I enjoy the most is the brainstorming process. Even if it is with myself, thinking of different solutions and ideas is the process where I feel more comfortable. It also allows me to research what others are doing or thinking.
    Software Guy (Aarvy)
    @mimih_arteaga This is a good approach, thank you for sharing with us,
    Grace Hur
    @mimih_arteaga those steps set the foundation for what’s next, so it totally makes sense that you want to be clear on what the situation is ✔️
    Yassin Bouacherine
    1 > 2 > 3 > 4 sounds pretty good to me as a process in developing a problem-solving tool, I would not discard any of those! ;D
    Grace Hur
    @jack95 definitely agree. I find it helpful to ask this question to teams to see if there might be a disproportionate gravitation towards one step (or the negligence of a step).