What is the best way to promote a newsletter?

Dan Kulkov
7 replies
I've launched a newsletter for Indie Makers (https://dankulkov.substack.com/) Getting the first 50 subscribers was a piece of cake. Thanks to my Twitter followers :) But what are time-tested tactics to get new subscribers? Except posting high-quality content and waiting for the word-of-mouth 😅

Replies

Nabila El Bouzari
Hey @paullouis_valat1 , I reckon you've got some great feedbacks on this topic, don't you ?
Paul-Louis Valat
@nabilaelb Cross promotion has been working well for us! Partnering with other creators to feature on their newsletters and vice versa
Sanghita Dey
We hosted twitter space and brought audience to contribute into the discussion. Our topic was very relevant. We chose a Product and asked people how can we make it better. Great engagement and subcribers also increased exponentially
Dan Kulkov
@sanghita_dey are Twitter space worth it? Haven't participated in the single one
Darwin Binesh
Distribution eventually leads to more subs. I'm launching a newsletter on Monday and I've looked into: Influencers Organic social (twitter, ig, tiktok) Referrals SEO And it seems like they're all viable if done well enough with enough patience. Do you have a subscriber goal and a timeline for achieving it? I've been looking for people to talk to about this so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for posting!
Devyani Gupta
@darwin_binesh I'm trying to actually improve my startups' newsletter following as well! Would love to hear what worked best when you launch
Darwin Binesh
@dev_gupta3 Will do! So far the best one has been bringing it up everywhere I go. It's my new answer to the "so, what do you do?" question everyone asks.