Should you hunt your product yourself?

Julia Putzeys
11 replies
As I’m learning more about launch preparations, I’m curious if most makers hunt their product themselves, or find another person to do so? Is finding a popular hunter critical to launch success?

Replies

Ben Dalziel
Great Q! I don’t understand how some are “hunted” by the community, and others are launched by the creator…
Jonathan Nass
@bdalziel It's up to the Maker to decide! If you want the help of a top Hunters following, you can ask them to help by "Hunting" your product.
Jonathan Nass
We used a top Hunter when we launched our MVP last year. But I've read that having a Hunter has become less important recently. As I understand it, it used to be a must-have for a successful launch, but I think PH has worked to make sure self-hunted products can be just as successful.
Jonathan Nass
@julia_putzeys No problem! That said I'll probably still reach out to a top hunter for our upcoming launch. Even if it's a placebo, I want ever boost we can get 🤠
Oscar Wehbe
Around of Product of the Day winners are hunted, so there doesn't seem to be a big correlation between getting hunted, or launching yourself. That doesn't account for the big hunters though. If you're a maker, everyone who follows you will get an email when you launch. For a hunter, everyone who follows them will get an in-app notification when they've hunted a product, but not an email. Hope this helps.
Julia Putzeys
@oscar_wehbe very helpful distinction in terms of following reach and how they're notified, thank you!
Igor Sadkin
We are going to start up in the near future Our product is aimed at interior designers and those who solve tasks of 3D visualization and rendering of living spaces. How relevant do you think the hunt product is to the site and do we need a hunter?
Lauren Thomas
Good question! We were hunted by @chrismessina and have just launched. I guess you could check out our listing to see how we go!? producthunt.com/posts/vouch-4 😉
Fabian Maume
Having a hunter increase your chances to finish in the top 5 but it isn't an obligation. If you want to find a relevant hunter check out https://upvote-bell.com/leaderboard