• Subscribe
  • Should start-ups be transparent or closed?

Dear Community, **Spoiler-Alert: I am just asking for a friend of mine !!!** Should you tell your potential customers that you have only a few employees and fewer than x customers? Or should you bend the truth a little and exaggerate? What do you think about this? Do you have positive or negative experiences with either approach?

Replies

Gurkaran Singh
    Well, transparency is key in a start-up, but maybe leave the 'we're just a few interns in a garage' part out of the pitch! It's all about striking a balance between honesty and a sprinkle of startup magic, right? 😉
    Hossein Yazdi
    Firstly, I don't recommend getting into these details unless a customer specifically asks for them, however, in case they've asked, I don't think exaggerating or bending the truth is a good idea at all. I'd instead recommend, answering in such a way that it doesn't be dishonest and also doesn't bring you down. For example, if a customer asks you about stuff like this, you can say, Although we're new, we're growing quickly and looking to expand further in the near time. This way, you have not only been honest with your customer and didn't lie, but you have also not shown your true stats. In fact, you've shown a positive image about your brand to your customer mindset which can ultimately make them continue with you.
    Start-ups should always prioritize transparency to build trust with their customers. By being open about the size of your team and customer base, you can set realistic expectations and foster authenticity in your brand. Problem: As a start-up, it can be challenging to gain credibility and trust with potential customers due to limited resources and a small customer base. Solution: Contentify AI can help start-ups enhance their online presence through AI-powered marketing automation tools. By automating content creation, optimization, and publishing, start-ups can appear more established and professional to potential customers, ultimately boosting credibility and trust. Try Contentify AI for Free here just look up Contentify AI
    Olie Fullin
    In general, a balance between transparency and privacy often works best. Startups should strive to be as open as possible without jeopardizing their competitive advantage or breaching any regulatory requirements. It's also important to remember that transparency isn't just about sharing information—it's about being honest, authentic, and accountable