• Subscribe
  • Pitching - using a deck or not?

Robin P.
    8 replies
    Applies to both pitching to investors or a sales pitch. What do you prefer, using a deck to pitch or go more freestyle opening up a dialogue?

Replies

Benson Gao
    The presentation is meant to highlight key points, clarify thoughts, and deliver a strong response to others.
    Hjalte Niehorster
    Well rumour goes, a goed product doesn’t need a pitch deck. But hey, it all depends on the product type, ICP, TAM, etc. If it is easy to understand investors will see the value straight up. Then the pitch deck is just explaining / justifying the high valuation ;). Otherwise a pick deck is a requirement, but use the KISS, keep it short and sexy…. An investor is impressed in 2 minutes, or shifts his mind after two minutes.
    IU.handmade
    @Robin_P Raft Wars think it’s best to use a combination of both, using a few slides to create a framework and keep the conversation flowing, making the presentation both engaging and effective.
    Amanda Nicole Harris
    I prefer using a deck for pitches. It helps keep the convo focused and provides visuals to drive key points home. That said, know your stuff cold so you're not just reading the slides and can adapt on the fly. But yeah, deck > no deck imo for most pitches. Thoughts?
    Robin P.
    Launching soon!
    @amandanicoleharris My approach is typically focused on getting the counterparty to interact and I feel like it's easiest without a deck especially in a first call where it's a mutual qualification call in a sense. With a deck it quickly becomes a monologue because the counterparty becomes the "audience" and presentation fatigues is a real thing. That said, I'd always have the presentation ready either for supportive visual clarification or in the rare case when they insist on seeing a presentation.
    SophiaRoseCarter
    I like using a deck for pitches, especially during the first meeting or two. It helps provide a clear structure and key takeaways. That said, slides should support the pitch, not be a crutch. Practice delivering the core pitch without relying on the deck. And keep decks visual - minimize text. The goal is an engaging convo, not a lecture. What's worked for others here?
    Maxwell Bennett Crawford
    I prefer not using slides and just having an authentic conversation, but a few simple visuals on cards or a whiteboard can help clarify key points. The goal is to connect with the audience, not just present at them. Though in more formal settings, a minimal, well-designed deck can add polish and keep things on track. Depends on the context and your presentation style. What matters most is knowing your stuff cold and adapting to the audience!
    Cedric Jude Hawthorne
    It really depends on the situation, but I find decks are most useful when pitching something complex that benefits from visuals, data, or a structured narrative. When it's more of an informal chat about an early idea, a deck can feel too rigid and formal. The key is reading the room and adapting your approach to your audience. And of course, practice makes perfect when it comes to pitching, with or without a deck!