• Subscribe
  • Ouch. 🥲 I got the best roast on my YouTube video. This is what excellent feedback should look like

I was invited to a private Discord group discussing YouTube some time ago. The day before yesterday, I published my latest interview with @roxcodes , who collaborated with MrBeast. This is the video, BTW: https://youtu.be/TXh3jpGdNsE After an hour, I saw that someone had written a long message. This was the first line of the feedback. – I was pleased. 😊 BUT… Then I saw this… and I was quite shocked. 😟🤣 It was the best roasting feedback I have ever received. Within 20 minutes, I got 93 responses from both Admins about what should be changed. For example: “Why do you use templates for thumbnails? The purple background isn't providing any value…” or “You A BIG PROBLEM is that this video is trying to deliver to Devs and YouTubers at the same time [...] Staying on one topic for 10 minutes and then going to the other [...] Repeat this again and again and again. [...] This is why I’m always telling @ userXY he needs to make his thumbnails/titles before the interview [...] So that you can focus on what the viewer expects/wants and not SHINY NEW OBJECT” It was a bit critical (the communication was too long) but had everything. And I think it should be like that because it points out my mistakes and provided solutions. That feedback had everything, and I think it should serve as some kind of template: 🔥 short snippets of news that capture the essence of the matter, 🔥 pointing out what is not good and why, 🔥 demonstrating with examples and providing social proof (that guy sent me over 10 videos – how-to tutorials + good examples: “Let's see: these 5 YouTubers did it this way, and those videos significantly outperform others – because of that…”), 🔥 giving several possible solutions for what to change and how (“swap this title from current to this one → He gave me several sample titles.), 🔥 providing helpful tools + resources + contact persons, 🔥 if possible, invite other participants to the debate because more people see more things, 🔥 not being afraid to be a bit harsh but still keeping the communication positive... being like 🔫🔫🔫 pew pew pew pew pew. I liked the vibe of that communication. Not after, but DURING that roast, I tried to improve the thumbnail of the last YouTube interview. I received a few tasks and was happy that someone had shown me a better way and how to achieve it. And what's the best feedback you've received so far? 🙂

Replies

Gurkaran Singh
    Wow, sounds like you had a feedback roast worthy of a YouTube comment section! Learning and growing from constructive criticism is like debugging code - a bit painful but ultimately rewarding. Keep those roasts coming for that perfect thumbnail!
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    Daksh Tyagi
    @busmark_w_nika Haha, that sounds like a roasting masterclass! 🔥 Nothing like a bit of tough love to get that creativity flowing. I've found that the best feedback is like a good coffee—strong and a bit bitter, but it wakes you up! I’m now rethinking my own thumbnails. Any tips on how you handled all those changes without pulling your hair out? 😂
    @founder_daksh I haven't handled it yet :D TBH, it is continual work. Even when I tried to fix that thumbnail, it is not good and task I was give was like: Try to do at least 10 thumbnails per day to practice it :D and I was like... Ehmm :D when? :D
    @founder_daksh Well, I am not so sure if I am able to put myself to create so many thumbnails :D I need to do other things :D
    Daksh Tyagi
    @busmark_w_nika Oh wow, 10 thumbnails a day? That sounds like a full-time job on its own! 😂 I guess practice makes perfect, right? Maybe we need a 'thumbnail bootcamp' to get through it. Good luck, and remember to have some fun with it!
    Daksh Tyagi
    @busmark_w_nika Totally get it!😂 Hang in there!
    Piotr Obidowski
    Wow, what a feedback 😯
    @pobidowski I also say to myself. Normally I'm surprised they gave me such a consultation for free :D
    @busmark_w_nika may be he was trying to secure a job by giving free demo 😛😂
    @mehtab__faiz If yes, they did their job perfectly :D
    Kate Ramakaieva
    Wow, great to get valuable feedback with advice for improvement - not just useless hate ot criticism!
    @kate_ramakaieva that's it! It was a little bit spicy but still valuable. 😀
    Andreas Sohns
    Loved your attitude towards feedback! Embracing constructive criticism is key. The tips about focusing on one audience and customizing thumbnails are gold. Best feedback I got? It was brutally honest about our onboarding process which led to a 30% boost in user retention.
    @andreas_sohns Who was that roaster? :DDDD
    JD Worcester
    Nothing better than honest feedback!
    @jd_worcester yes! They gave me valuable info. :)
    Peter Hansen
    Top notch feedback, congrats!
    @trumpeter Thank you! :) It is helpful when doing videos in the future. :)
    Sharon Lee
    I've been there too, Nika! Harsh feedback can sting, but it's the best way to learn.
    @sharonnleeee What have you learned thanks to solid feedback? :-) I am so happy to share this journey with all of you.
    Zebracat AI
    Zebracat AI
    Launching soon!
    The feedback looks very comprehensive and I think your thumbnails need to be improved. 😐
    @hamza_afzal_butt Me too. What do you think about the last one? what should I do about it?
    @hamza_afzal_butt I mean that thumbnail with Rox.
    Ramit Koul
    Loved how you embraced the feedback and shared the learnings with the community.