Newsletter growth: from 0 to 5.5K subs in 7 months 🚀

Sveta Bay
9 replies
Hey Product Hunters 🧡 Last week, I asked about tips on growing a newsletter. A lot of people participated, and the question got around 100 upvotes. Sounds like a hot topic! So, I made a case study with Katt, who sold a No-Code product and then built a profitable newsletter about No-Code Exits (https://www.nocode-exits.com/). Let me share it 👀 1. Who’s your ideal reader, and how do they find you? 👥 My core persona is a non-technical person who wants to earn money by building products with No-Code. You hear a lot of ‘‘No-Code is the future yada yada”. But where are the real products made with No-Code? With the interviews in No-Code Exits, I hope to solve this and inspire people. My main acquisition channels are Twitter and communities where non-tech people interested in entrepreneurship hang out. 2. How do you monetize your newsletter? 💸 For the first 5 months, I have focused on getting new subscribers. From 1000 subscribers, I started doing first ads and selling a small (10$) info product that interests my readers. But it’s only since this month that I have been more serious about monetization. - I have been working on my ads: adding packages, improving CTR, reaching out to brands I think are a good fit, and improving my partnership page with testimonials. - I added a higher-priced info product (50$) based on questions I received from my audience. - I launched No-Code Exits Club this month. A paid challenge that you can join to go from 0 to Exit with No-Code. Pretty interesting if you don’t like too much marketing. The power of a niche newsletter is that you can spot problems your audience struggles with, validate product ideas and build distribution. 3. How did you get your first 10 customers? 💞 I first validated the idea of my newsletter. I tweeted that the first story would go out in 12 hours and went to bed. I had around 600 followers on Twitter back then. People reacted with great enthusiasm, and I woke up to 200+ subscribers. That was enough for me to start writing. I did the same to find my first sponsors - tweeted. As I’m building in public, many of my followers are indie makers, so this, combined with a reasonable price, helped sell the 10 first ad spots. My readers enjoy the classified ad part (even rave about it in reviews). And it brings good results for indie makers that are advertising. I should probably raise my prices, but I want it to stay accessible for smaller businesses to advertise. It’s a win-win: my readers enjoy discovering small indie products, which shows in the results: good click rate, no ad blindness, and enjoying the content. One thing I recommend is to upsell with packages. Instead of one ad, you can book 4 or 6 ads with a discount. I did this from the beginning, and this gives me some breathing room. It is a pretty good deal for the advertiser because the newsletter has been growing nicely every month. 4. What’s your Best marketing decision and why? ✅ I tried a lot, and I’m still trying a lot. - Most of my growth was all thanks to Twitter. I repurpose content from my newsletter to tweets. - Being active in communities where non-technical people hang out. - Doing (no-code) webinars and interviews for visibility. - Partnering up with other No-Code businesses and cross-promote each other. - A Product Hunt launch. I only launched when I already had around 3000 subscribers. That day when my product went live on Product Hunt I immediately sent my weekly newsletter to ask for support from my readers which gave a great initial boost. This resulted in 1000+ subscribers. (https://www.producthunt.com/prod...) - Building my newsletter in public helped build a strong brand. Whenever a project gets acquired, I get tagged. People reach out to me for partnerships or sponsorship, people recommend my newsletter, etc. 5. If you could do 1 thing differently, what would it be? 🤔 A few months ago, I decided to become active on LinkedIn + Medium to crosspost my content from the newsletter. I did it for a few weeks, and now I’m very inconsistent. I was just copy-pasting and not adapting the content to be the perfect and most interesting read for the platform. I just did it so I could cross it from my ‘to-do list.’ Now I try to focus more on what works and do that with great care and quality. P.S. I share marketing case studies like that every week. Subscribe for free and don't miss the insights from profitable Founders https://makerbox.ck.page/marketi... ❤️

Replies

Tori Barrington
What a great case study! It's so interesting how social media and newsletters can work together. We're looking to launch a newsletter soon, so this was all great advice. Thanks for sharing!
Richard Gao
Thats definitely impressive! Don't think I can even grow my twitter in that time haha Maybe I should be active on linkedin too
Rishabh R
This is really impressive 🔥
Hossein Yazdi
Thanks for sharing your valuable experiences. I had already subscribed to your weekly marketing case studies! 🙂
Amlan Saikia
Really impressive. Congratulations. 🎈
Madeleine Nichols
congratulations! it's so great to hear more about the getting started phase, thank you for sharing your story and lessons learned
Sakshi Gahlawat
Congratulations Sveta!
Benjamin Boman
I discovered your newsletter via Medium. So one point to add to your list is actually to write nice post. Yours are really good.