Is automation a threat or opportunity?

Catherine Norris
4 replies
I recently interviewed thought leader Anita Lettink on this subject. Her idea is that since there is a huge labor shortage, workers are burning out with too many tasks on their plate. Instead of "robots are taking our jobs," automation actually works very well with manual and repetitive activities. "Imagine if the robots could free up an extra 10-20% of mundane tasks, that would free up time for people to do valuable work." What do you think? Read the full interview here: https://collato.com/blog/anita-l...

Replies

Gökçen Öğütçü
I think it's definitely an opportunity, to put human creativity to work!
Sven Radavics
I think it's both a threat and an opportunity. I think some roles & industries will automate to such a massive extent that there will be a lot of job losses. I think other industries will benefit dramatically and have loads of opportunities. My only 'concern' is that automation and AI seem to be improving so rapidly I wonder if there will be a few years of pain until everyone catches up and gets on top of things.
Catherine Norris
@sven_radavics Good point! One thing Lettink brings up is the need for companies to help employees build up skills needed for the future--something that automation could leave more time for.