• Subscribe
  • I'm giving away my moat, is it a good decision?

Mathis Vella
    4 replies
    So, two weeks ago I launched this tool to help startups get listed on a ton of online directories. It had a pretty solid start with good interest and a bump in sales (mostly thanks to Product Hunt and social medias). I also got a lot of feedback. Some folks wanted to see the directory list before paying, to know what they're getting into. Others suggested paying per directory, and some even wanted a few free trials… After hearing all this, I'll be honest, it felt a bit like everyone wanted everything for free. It got me thinking about the value of the service and how to balance being open with sustaining the project. But then, I remembered my past projects that didn't really go anywhere. A big reason was I couldn't get the word out well enough. Classic distribution issues with product guys like me. That got me thinking differently. I decided to open up the directory list for everyone to see. More than just trying to get more people on board, my idea is also to create trust. I also decided to offer 5 free submissions (because it’s automated so this doesn’t cost me a lot) for anyone who signs up so I can keep a small advantage on my competitors… But now, I'm kind of wondering about that call. Making the list public and offering a few freebies felt right, but it's got me thinking, does this make it too easy for someone else to come along and do the same thing?

Replies

Rayan Zeggari
    Hey Mathis ! I've been following QuickListing since your launch and your recent decision (from LinkedIn) to pivot the business model by giving access to the full list of directories. I guess it's always a good thing to A/B test conversion rates / sign-ups with your new model and you could always go back to the previous models if you see people taking too much advantage to the public list of directories. At least now, you'll have data to rely upon to make an informed decision and that's a win in my book. Controversial opinion: not every single feedback should be listened to - especially when these feedback are from non-paying users. If Apple had listened to every person criticising their price they wouldn't be in the same place today. To sum up, I have no idea whether you're giving away the moat to competitors but your decision to try out a new "model" is what will allow you to compare with previous conversion rates. You will be able to come up to a decision on your own :) Hope I was able to help and wish you all the best for Quicklisting !
    Mathis Vella
    Hey @rayan_zeggari thanks for the support and insights! Totally agree on the A/B testing point. It's essential to experiment and see what works best. If the new approach with the public list doesn't work out, I can always adjust. I already have some data but indeed the more I have the best it is. Appreciate your input and encouragement!
    Zaid Al Kazemi
    One product is great but your anxiety might be squashed if you develop a more expensive offering related to it so giving it away doesn’t feel bad.