How long could you survive without internet?

Alexandra Goss
57 replies
Apart from disruptions to your work (which is obviously tied to the internet since you’re here in Product Hunt - correct me if I’m wrong), what would be the other hardest to endure consequences of not having the internet? (Imagine there’s a major worldwide outage so no one has internet)

Replies

Ill Robyn
Hi, not having the internet would mean losing access to my digital calendar and reminders. That would be tough.
Clayton Walker
When I was in college I spent my summers working at a summer camp in the mountains of North Carolina. Cell reception was bad and only a few buildings in the town had internet. I went days on end without checking in. I really miss this as the people I was with are still some of the closest friends I have to this day. It’s something I worry about with the younger generations - they’ll likely never experience something like this. So to answer your question - if work wasn’t a factor I could and would gladly go days at a time without being connected - checking in once or twice a week with people who are further away.
David McGuire
I want to say indefinitely but the reality is probably 4 hours
Andrew C.
ill be honest... its hard. when there are internet outages from our provider, i hit the PANIC button immediately
Andrew C.
@alex_skazka how long an outage have you faced ?
Alexandra Goss
@andrewcanday when I stayed in Albania, we had frequent but short outages, maybe like 5 times a day but for 30min tops Also experienced 4-5 hour ones in different countries
Business Marketing with Nika
Not so much in case I would be the only one (exception) because my work is dependent on online. But if no one has the internet including me – I would find any other activities I could do: reading books, sports, I think with these conditions it would be pretty easy for me. :)
Great question! While losing internet connectivity would definitely impact my work and communication, I've found ways to adapt. I regularly participate in Vipassana meditation retreats, which involve 10 days with no electronic devices, completely disconnected from the digital world. It's a refreshing and pure experience that allows for deep introspection and a reset from the constant digital noise. Interestingly, what I think would be even more challenging than losing internet is dealing with a lack of electricity. The absence of electricity would disrupt not just communication but also basic daily activities and essential services, making it a much harder situation to endure. For instance, I'd miss playing my electric piano, which is a significant part of my relaxation and creative process.
Launching soon!
It's not about survival; anyone can live without the Internet. However, our lives would be significantly disrupted without it, as we rely on the Internet for work, communication, and accessing essential services.
Andreas Sohns
Honestly, work would be a mess without the internet.
Lorenz Sell
I miss pre-internet days. Honestly life was simpler. I honestly look at how much time some people close to me spend on the internet instead of with people in person, and it makes me sad. So, if the whole world suddenly lost internet... I'm not sure things would be worse.
Alexandra Goss
@lorenzsell I know, right? I'd worry about my work but apart from that, life would be good
Larry Kim
I think the hardest part would be losing instant access to information and the ability to connect with people globally. It would be quite a challenge to adapt!
Aaron Hailey
I’d miss online banking and bill payments. It’d be a hassle to manage finances offline.
Ruby Alexander
Without the internet, staying updated with global news would be a challenge.
Savannah Morris
I’d miss streaming music and podcasts the most.
Nick Willstrop
Not being able to video call family and friends would be hard.
Haris Morris
"I’d struggle without access to cloud storage and my documents.
Kerry Rivera
"Losing access to online learning platforms would be tough.
Haris Morris
losing access to online leering platforms would be tough
john milton
Hi, I'd miss researching new ideas and trend instantly
Julia Watson
Without the internet, finding directions and navigating would be challenging.
Kate Sleeman
online getting with friends would be impossible