• Subscribe
  • How important is it to create documentation for future team members when you haven’t launched yet?

David Justice
    8 replies
    I am working on a project and personally, I really value good documentation. I plan on in the future bringing on help, but I am wondering if it’s slowing me down when the product hasn’t launched.

Replies

It definitely slows you down. Documentation is crucial IF: - You've got a bunch of people working on the project - You're pushing a bunch of stuff out every single week (pretty common in a high-paced startup) - You've got your first 100 customers But till you get there, maybe hold off on anything else that might be a distraction.
    Nigel Engel
    It always good to start documentation but it comes with scale
    Yannick
    I share your perspective on this matter, but it's currently too early to create documentation. My suggestion is to organize your work in a way that will make future documentation easier. This won't require a significant time investment. It's uncertain whether your project will gain enough traction to secure additional help.
    Pradeepa Somasundaram
    Creating documentation before launching is crucial for future team members, as it lays the foundation for smooth onboarding, ensures continuity, and reduces dependency on existing team knowledge. Even in the early stages, documenting processes, product decisions, workflows, and technical details helps future team members quickly understand the company’s direction and operations, minimizing disruptions as the team grows. It also captures the rationale behind decisions, so future iterations stay aligned with the original vision. Starting documentation early sets a precedent for maintaining organized, scalable knowledge as the company evolves. Using a platform like Document360 2.0 simplifies this process by providing a centralized, easy-to-manage space for your documentation, ensuring everything is well-organized and accessible as your team expands.