How do you deal with creative blocks?

You need to come up with something, but you can't come up with anything. How do you solve that? When I was in a creative agency, many times, I felt like without any solid idea how to do things differently. I realised how other people attend many events or places where the art is. Since then, I tried to "train creativity". Some of the activities I did and I am doing are: πŸ‘‰ brainstorming with friends (or ChatGPT) πŸ‘‰ reading books (I tried to incorporate fiction) πŸ‘‰ creative writing or other methods (eg Six Thinking Hats) πŸ‘‰ taking up some activities related to creation: photography, drawings. πŸ‘‰ above mentioned attending creative events and places (galleries, concerts etc) What does help you?

Replies

Konrad S.
I think that analytical methods can also help with creativity, e.g. Complete partitioning of possibilities: Divide all possibilities for what you want to create into categories, possibly repeat. This often helps to discover many new possibilities. Backtracking: Consider if what you want to create is really necessary to reach your actual goal. You may discover that creating something quite different let’s you reach your goal faster or easier. Systematic web search for things similar to what you want to create.
Business Marketing with Nika
@konrad_sx The first method you describe I should try: When more possibilities are in the game and when you sort them, you have a system. That's something I like :D So possibly it could reduce my stress caused by not "being creative". Gosh, I would need you to brainstorm once! :)
Mathew Simpson
Awesome tips, Nika! I also find that switching mediums helps. If I'm stuck on writing, I'll switch to sketching or even cooking – anything that gets my brain working differently.
@mattysimp_ That is pretty neat. Any kind of change (activity, place or people – which is sometimes very difficult) can help you (short-term or long-term). :)
Prem Saini
I totally relate to the ones who have mentioned, other than this the other things that help me - Mind mapping: To explore and arrange ideas, I try to set aside time to create visual diagrams. - Meditation: This is what I have started doing lately (15 minutes of using a nature or some meditation sound) - Walks with music
@prem_saini1 Mind mapping is a good technique. I used FigJam in Figma for that. Do you have a special tool? :) The last point: The same! I can't even getta out of home without head buds. :)
Yoki Yue
@prem_saini1 @busmark_w_nika Wanna try something new for mind mapping? try ours πŸ˜‰
Clayton Walker
I take a break to walk my dog! I find getting out of the house and getting fresh air switches up how my brain is functioning and often times helps to think from a different perspective. And when that doesn’t work I turn to talking to AI, treating it like I would a conversation with a person as that sometimes gets me to come to the realization just by putting my thoughts down.
Interesting POV. :) Probably would prefer the same – analogue activities first and everything else didn't help, switch to online :) @claytonwalker
Great insights! Training creativity is indeed a valuable endeavor. I've found that making creativity a DAILY HABIT significantly enhances my ability to think outside the box. Consistency in creative activities, even in small doses, can be incredibly effective. Some of my daily practices include: πŸ‘‰ Meditation twice a day to clear mental blocks and foster a free flow of ideas. πŸ‘‰ Playing the piano, which helps me connect with my creative side. Some of my weekly routines, also mentioned by others, include: πŸ‘‰ Meeting new people to gain fresh perspectives and insights. πŸ‘‰ Playing golf, which offers a zen-like experience, opportunities to meet new people, and the chance to be in nature. By integrating these activities into my routine, I not only train my mind but also build resilience and a sense of accomplishment. What are some of your DAILY PRACTICES?
@herwig_kusatz Nice! Always good to have a music person on the board. My daily routine always contain sport :)
Alexandra G
A really cool think that helps ~most~ is to do something that activates the Default Mode Network. Basically, that's when you stop "trying" to think hard and just let your brain relax and your train of thought go unrestricted For me, it's doing dishes and running
@alex_skazka I like the psychology behind that. Do you read books on those topics? :)
Alexandra G
@busmark_w_nika I do love to self-study psychology! I believe, the course on DMN was part of marketing creativity course πŸ€”πŸ€”
@alex_skazka aha, so you took some extra classes, right? If it was online, I would like to have a look at their web page :)
Andreas Sohns
Great tips! I usually take a break, brainstorm with colleagues or read a good book. Sometimes stepping away helps the ideas flow again.
@andreas_sohns Fully resonate with that. Especially switching activities. Halted by the problem is not the solution :)
kushagra
Interesting! Great insights!
Hakim Zerhouni
Launching soon!
When I hit a creative block, I find brainstorming with friends or using tools like ChatGPT really helpful. I also enjoy reading fiction, trying different creative writing exercises, and exploring activities like photography or attending events for fresh inspiration.
Wow :D that sounds like my answer but repurposed by ChatGPT. Coincidence? :D @hakz
Hakim Zerhouni
Launching soon!
@busmark_w_nika Yea I have tried GPT to respond, also use the whole content and it give the concise answer of you theory :P
Fay_F
Creative block, which is also known as limited output. Indicates that it's time to go for more input. Usually this is when I look at other works in different fields for inspiration.
Monica Mitchell
Mine is - Changing Environment, Taking Breaks, Exercising, Collaborating) It really helps!
Dan O'Malley
Stepping outside for a break helps. Walking my dog or surfing if I can. If I'm on a walk with my dog and you see me starting to walk really fast to get back home, it's because I had an idea!
@dan_o_malley Hi Dan, where do you live? (Just asking bcse of surfing) :)
Nick Zemlyanskiy
When I'm in creating block, I usually try to load myself with as much information as possible about the task, then walk or sleep a night with it. Often, the solution comes afterwards.
Vaibhav
Taking a day off works usually. However, one insight i have learnt is that if you are delaying something for a lot of time, you should evaluate that item again. Is it really worth it? That helps.
@vaibhavdwivedi usually when you force yourself repeatedly into something, maybe it isn't worth it. But who knows? Nothing worth having comes easy.
Lisa Stanley
Interesting approach Nika!
Paulina Hryniewicz
I only experience creative block when writing for work, doesn't happen with personal stuff. So when I feel like I can't think of another word for work stuff, I switch to personal working and it usually helps :)
@paulinahryniewicz it seems legit what you say. Because in personal writing, we can be more creative. When you write for work purposes, you cannot afford many things "because of restriction and some code of conduct" πŸ™ˆ
Lorenz Sell
If I'm really stuck, I'll just start writing. It doesn't have to be about the thing that I'm trying to be creative about. Maybe it's just some personal journaling. But just put pen to paper and write. Sometimes that can feel brutal if I'm particularly blocked, but more often than not, my writing will start heading towards what I'm trying to get to. I also find there's a big difference between creation and editing. When I try to combine the two, it rarely works well. If I just let myself create without trying to make it perfect at the same time, that gives me a lot more freedom. I also apply this if I'm writing and I need to look up a reference or something. Instead of interrupting my writing, I'll make a not or loosely describe what I wanted to look up and just keep going. That makes all the difference. Once I have a solid draft, editing and polishing is much easier.
Ann E. Layton
I always have a cup of coffee and walks on the green grass
My3 Murthy
I listen to my top podcasts- they always have something fun and useful to say- then I pick a topic they mentioned that intrigued me and dive deeper into it or add my opinion to it. Works most of the time! P.S. I didn't know about Six Thinking Hats! I am going to try it out
There are more techniques, maybe in the future cover them :) What podcasts do you listen to? :) @my3_murthy
Bella ciao
I always get anxiety due to creative block 😢. But from now onwards I will use your tactics Nika