Home office or a cool startup office?

Do you swear by the home office comfort or are you all about that vibrant startup office energy? There are pros and cons to each. I used to work in a startup office before with a dozen others similar in age to me. WFH is nice but there are some aspects of the startup office that you simply can't replicate when working at home. Those water-cooler chats, going out for lunch with your colleagues, staying out late, etc. Then again, I suppose co-working offices can help with that! What's your preference?

Replies

Jovana Djekovic
I'm all for a home office. It's great being able to set up your space just how you like it
Bren Kinfa ๐Ÿ’Ž SaaS Gems
@jovana_djekovic Ain't that the truth! Also, having your own work station optimized for how you work is great.
Freeman Laffey
You find lots of distractions while WFH.
Jeremy Toeman
good question, i'm trying to make a decision on this myself. problem is: i want the socializing, but don't want the 1h commute into the city (I live in the 'burbs). going to try a private office in a coworking space ~20m away for a month or two and see how that goes..
@jtoeman Absolutely, the commute is probably one of the worst parts! A nearby co-working space sounds like a good option though. On a related note, I've noticed there are now some coffee shops operating as a hybrid co-working space - these are decent options and much cheaper than usual co-working offices. You still miss out on that consistent "social" aspect to them though because it's a slightly different audience vs. usual co-working spaces.
Jeremy Toeman
@brenkinfa love that - which leads to my other issue - i am on zoom calls for ~ 1/2 of every day, so i also need a place where i'm not going to be bothering other folks...
Slim Wilbard
I think it's hard for me to commute and a small office is part of my story
Jake Strack | miingl
I'm way to much of an extrovert to be in my comfy home alone all day.
Adrian
Hybrid is the best - 3 days office and 2 WFH is a great balance !
andi wir
Working from home can save you a lot of money on commuting and office space.
Dev Donald
Working in a cool startup office can be a lot of fun and can help you to be more creative.
KC Onrade
Considering the commute, time spent and wasted on when travelling, I prefer WFH however I cannot deny the fact that working inside the office gives you a little more push and a breathe of fresh air, especially that you got to collaborate with the team.
@k_onrade Spot on! Collaborating with the office crew is pretty awesome and something I miss from the WFH life.
Nicolรฒ Marchesi
I love working from home, but when I need to interact with the rest of the team, I prefer in a physical place. Also for a few things, it helps concentration.
@pethron Agreed. For me, I prefer physical meetings over Zoom any day (so long as we're in the same office ๐Ÿ˜…)!
Cool startup office :) I stayed at home for 3 years, working remotely. Then I figured out that I need to socialize. I think startup needs a physical collaboration space
Michael Wheeler
I see the appeal in both setups! The home office certainly brings comfort and flexibility, especially when dealing with tasks related to home loans, home refinance, VA loans, and mortgage loans. It's great to have your own space, control over your environment, and the ability to work in your pajamas if you want. But you're right, there's a unique energy in startup officesโ€”the spontaneous chats, the camaraderie, and that sense of shared momentum can be motivating, even for those dealing with mortgage-related tasks. Co-working spaces do offer a middle ground, fostering some of that office vibe while allowing for flexibility. As for my preference, I think both have their merits. The home office is fantastic for focus and uninterrupted work on tasks related to home financing, while the startup office or co-working space brings that social aspect and collaborative energy. It's all about finding that balance that works best for productivity and well-being, especially when managing responsibilities related to home loans (visit http://lendgo.com/) and mortgage-related activities. Do you have a preference between the two when dealing with such financial tasks?
Mansi Trivedi
cool startup office.! I've never been to one, so I am more curious! ๐Ÿ˜„