Does ranking 1st on PH actually give you good conversions?

Vinod Katam
20 replies
We are live on Product hunt since yesterday and we have seen some traffic and signups on our platform. But does the efforts justify the traffic and conversions? What exactly a business can expect from product hunt ranking?

Replies

Toni
It really depends on the product you built. PH audience includes many solopreneurs, indie hackers, devs. Conversion will be good if your product matches those personas. But in every case, ranking on PH gives you a boost in visibility and you should leverage the momentum to attract your ICP to your website and product. Indirectly, PH will help you grow conversions.
Vinod Katam
@toni_pm PH audience is mostly founders and tech enthusiasts. But that might not be the ICP of many products. For example, i am pretty sure if tiktok launched on PH, it would have gotten almost zero conversions directly. How will they measure the traction.
Margret Rhyme
Not all products that get ranked number 1 get conversions, it just gives you awareness and the chance to reach the right people, I have heard from many founders who got conversion when they work not ranked number 1 but maybe in top 5.
Vinod Katam
@margret_rhyme Product hunt raking is more of a gamification strategy that is trying good traffic to PH. But, at the end of the day what is it that the individual products are getting. More than that, how do we measure it.
Zenda
I think you should not only focus on the traffic brought by ProductHunt. This is a long-term influence. There will be many navigation stations that will index your website, bringing high-quality backlinks, and there will be continuous traffic.
Vinod Katam
@zenda1122 Agreed. I agree that in the long run, it adds a lot of value to the product awareness. The question is, how do we measure it. Clearly, raking 1 or in the top 5 is just a competition among the products to bring more and more traffic and engagement over to product hunt. But how we measure the actual take aways from the launch.
Hossein Yazdi
Generally, PH is intended to give you a boost in start and it's a great way to introduce your platform widely when ready to be released. That being said, for long term business goals and marketing strategy, I don't think it's a good idea to rely on it as its purpose is differently.
Vinod Katam
@hosseinyazdi , agreed. product exposure is a big take away from PH launch. But how do we measure the success off it
Paulina Hryniewicz
Product Hunt isn't the be-all and end-all anymore. It's just a part of our broader launch plan :) So I wouldn't obsess over getting #1
Pablo Roig
We were not ranked at 1, but top 5, and we don't have a real conversion
Vinod Katam
@pabloroigburgui thats hard. How did you evaluate your launch success/failure ?
Andreas Sohns
Congrats on your PH launch! Being #1 can definitely boost traffic and signups, but the real value lies in the exposure and feedback you get from the community.
Salvatore J. Friend
It all depends on your product and marketing
Sophie Wyne
I think the Product Hunt audience really matters. Are they your ideal users? If not, then conversions on your website might be limited. However, the buzz and brand awareness is amazing.
Rose Linda
Ranking 1st on Product Hunt can significantly boost visibility and initial signups, but the long-term conversion rate depends on the product's value and follow-up marketing efforts. It’s a great start, but not a guaranteed game-changer.
Gurkaran Singh
Ranking 1st on Product Hunt is like being the coolest kid at the tech party - it gets you noticed, but converting that attention into long-term relationships takes charm and substance, just like in real life!