• Subscribe
  • Building a Product with a Press Release

Alexander Kovalov
    4 replies
    At Amazon, they say the first step to building a product is writing the press release. The product simply becomes what’s promised in that release. The structure of a good product mirrors the structure of a good press release. So, what makes a great press release? 1/ What is it? Why is it so special? Why should anyone care? 2/ Who is it for? Who benefits from this, and why? 3/ Scale: 5x better, 50% cheaper, or a 40,000-person waitlist. Numbers matter. 4/ What was impossible before that is possible now? Why now? What changed? 5/ Demand: People are already using it. Show the numbers, percentages, growth trends. 6/ Why is it awesome? Are you the innovators in the field? 5 Forbes 500 execs backing it? 10 Nobel laureates involved? Show the star power. 7/ Better, faster, or cheaper? What makes it more efficient, and why should people care? 8/ Interesting factor: Not everything useful is interesting. What makes this engaging? 9/ Who’s on board? Celebrities, brands, companies? Who’s backing it, and why? Amazon’s very first press release followed this formula, and you can actually build Amazon from it. https://press.aboutamazon.com/1995/10/worlds-largest-bookseller-opens-on-the-web Writing a killer press release is another form of creating a MVP. If it doesn’t sound great on paper, it won’t in reality either. Have you tried this approach for your product?

Replies

Eden Hayes
    it pushes you to quantity your value upfront definitely something i will use in my next project
    Christian Neal
    i have never thought of starting with press relese,but it mkes sense.it forces you to focus on the customers perspective from the beginning
    Eric Foster
    I love the ide of using press release as a blueprint its quick way to see if your actually hold weight before you build
    Jessica Young
    Press releases are an interesting starting point. They push you to define the value prop and key messaging upfront from the customer perspective. Keeps you focused on solving real customer problems vs just building cool tech. I like it!