• Subscribe
  • Your design system's shelf life

Vertika Nigam
    14 replies
    When you get a design system (free or premium), is there a certain extent up to which you use it? Like, only for designing one website, or just a couple of pages, or 4-5 projects, or sticking to it for a few months, and then leave? Have you thought about it? In a design system, what could make you stick to it for most of your projects?

Replies

Jeanette Walls
    The shelf life of a design system can be extended through a strong community of users. Encouraging feedback, contributions, and open communication allows the system to adapt to changing needs and user preferences. Additionally, employing version control ensures you can revert to previous iterations if needed, providing a safety net while exploring new design directions.
    @jeanette_walls a strong community of users for your design system — Are you talking about the teams using the design system in a company, or something else? Apart from that, I totally agree with keeping a track of all updates. This mostly depends upon the design platform’s capability.
    Liam Oram
    Typically I swap if there's something better for roughly the same price or something more accurate for what I want, currently I use canva which is fantastic for where I am right now but in the future I may need to change.
    @liam_oram Right, that’s a good criteria. However, I’m unaware of the Canva design system. Are you talking about Canva design platform or is there a DS that I don’t know about?
    David Murray
    A well-designed system is built to be flexible and adaptable. It should be able to accommodate new features and design elements without breaking the existing framework. This flexibility ensures your design system has a longer shelf life, even as your product grows and changes.
    @david_muray Exactly, every aspect of a design system evolves over time. The DS must take those updates in and reflect across the file seamlessly.
    Ethan Samuel
    Think of a design system like a living document. For example, the introduction of a new design language might require updating the system's color palette or typography. Clear and up-to-date documentation ensures everyone using the system is on the same page, even as it evolves. This proactive approach extends the system's shelf life.
    @ethan_samul You highlighted a very important aspect of the design system, and that is the documentation. It’s the key to keeping the DS alive for years.
    Giovani Drosda Lima
    I always went for free design systems, and keeping a few but deeply understanding them works great for me.
    @kitamashi The ones that you keep, what are they so special?
    Giovani Drosda Lima
    @vertikanigam they are simple, pretty, and they just work. Easy to integrate on starting or ongoing projects.
    Gurkaran Singh
    Design systems are like favorite snacks - you might start with a handful, but once you taste the goodness, you keep coming back for more projects! What keeps you munching on a design system for multiple projects?
    Ramy Wafaa
    Launching soon!
    A design system's shelf life depends on its versatility, quality, and ability to evolve with trends. I typically use a design system extensively if it's robust and flexible. It's not just for one website or a few pages; it should be adaptable enough for multiple projects over several months or even longer. Several factors make me stick to a design system for most of my projects. Consistency is key; it should offer a cohesive look and feel that aligns with various projects. Scalability is important. It should be flexible enough to adapt to different types of projects, from small websites to large applications. Regular updates are crucial to keep up with design trends and new technologies. Having a wide range of comprehensive components that cover most use cases ensures I can rely on it for diverse projects. Finally, ease of use is essential. The system should be easy to implement and customize without a steep learning curve. When a design system meets these criteria, it becomes an invaluable tool that I can depend on for a long time.
    @ramywafaa Great insights right there! Scalability stands out the most as it shows that the design system will easily evolve with your new needs. I see you're launching soon. Just followed your launch. All the best.