Would you rather bootstrap or raise funding? Why?

Wyatt Feaster
14 replies

Replies

Deepshikha Dhankher
That depends on business goals, resources, and risk tolerance
Mathis Vella
Bootstrap for the freedom!
Wyatt Feaster
@mathis_vella that is where I am at! I would rather grow something slow and steady to like a few mill a years then do the VC crazy route of high stress.
It depends what your goals are. For me: I would rather bootstrap, because I'm not trying to start a billion dollar company, I want to build stuff, but I'm not interested in managing a large team or having to operate with a "growth at all costs" mentality VC money comes with strings attached, and the bigger you get, the more VC money you take, and the more people you are accountable to - that doesn't sound like success IMO
Wyatt Feaster
@william_mathews1 that’s fair. I feel like opinions may change over time as well. Like maybe bootstrapping in the beginning sounds great but maybe if it rows fast you hit a wall and want to raise.
Daniel Zaitzow
Depends how much of a raise we're talking about. Bahamas residency and a chain of shell companies type of funding or just enough to boost the run rate and sell the farm for pennies on the dollar?
Daniel Zaitzow
@wyatt_feaster Yea I think it can be worth it specifically in a space where you're weary of competition or if there is a current window of opportunity/gaps in the sector.
Wyatt Feaster
@dzaitzow true true. I think it probably really does depend on the company and opportunity. I love the idea myself of organically growing it by bootstrapping. Only raising if absolutely needed!
Polly Collins
I prefer bootstrapping for organic growth, fostering creativity, and maintaining control, ensuring a sustainable and flexible business approach.
Wyatt Feaster
@polly_collins that is fair! I feel like the slow and control of bootstrapping is much more appealing.
Ann Jennings
That is dependent upon the objectives, available resources, and risk appetite of the company.
Wyatt Feaster
@ann_jennings fair point! There may be a point where you grow so quickly you need money to keep going?