Working on a News App. Thoughts?

Lohith Bollineni
12 replies
I'm working on a project which is a curated news app. I believe that most news apps out there lack a good use experience. Especially, the news websites are so bad with all ads popping up. I'm not sure how to monetize it, but I'm pretty sure that a well designed news app is in demand. What are your thoughts on this? And are there any good news apps that you use/know about that provide a better experience?

Replies

Alex
I would like to have a map where i can touch the region and read the news about that region, like http://radio.garden but for news.
RDS
Well, I agree with you regarding good experience and annoying adv popping up. Here is my advice: - Keep the headline small because people usually like to read news quickly. Not wanna spend 1-3 minutes just to read one news. So, add highlights. - Use google sans font also add an option to increase font size in the app. - Maybe add some sort of stuff that assistant will read news for you. - Keep separate toggle for national and international news. - When user click the headline then it opens a window for whole information. - Keep some bottom padding (space) for advertisement as people usually ignore that space and you can still earn money. - Use good quality images and if possible add a small clip with important news + also add toggle to enable/disable autoplay video just to save data and battery. -keep the app free cuz I want one 😁. Hope some of my ideas help you :)
Lohith Bollineni
@rds1 thank you. I'm definitely taking notes. but interestingly, I started working on the app since January and a lot of the features you mentioned are actually included in my design. That's crazy. maybe we're thinking alike 🤣 or the solution is obvious for the given problem statement. thank you so much.
Samuel Perry
Work with your GUI.