Why does AI feel like old news? Is innovation actually slowing down?

Divad Sanders
5 replies
I don’t think so. If anything, the reduced buzz means AI is becoming more seamlessly integrated into our lives. What was novel 7 months ago now feels commonplace. But under the surface, progress continues rapidly. More people understand some form of Al at its core instead of it just being our overlords one day. Customer support chatbots, code generators and such are not as sexy for headlines. The hype may have cooled, but things are just heating up. What do you think? Has AI reached a plateau?

Replies

Vyacheslav Suskov
Developing a new technology is one thing. Finding new ways of implementing it is the other.
Daniel Zaitzow
Akin to many other strides in technological advancement you see a huge uptick in users but for most people its a novel experience. They hopped onto GPT / played around and thought to themselves "wow this is insane" Once that sentiment had worn off - I presume most folks without an immediate use case for that specific platform got back to their daily life. AI has reached a plateau in its media coverage but at least half (if not more) of the apps I see developed / code shipped has some component of AI in its feature set. and that is NOT taking into account how much generative AI was used to write the code / build the copy etc. I think its just getting started and the best is still on the horizon.
Divad Sanders
@dzaitzow I agree with you, Daniel, that AI has reached a plateau in its media coverage, but I believe that this is only temporary. As AI becomes more ubiquitous in our lives, people will start to take notice of its many benefits. It's like you said, AI hasn't captured the public's imagination because it's still seen as a bit of a novelty. People have tried ChatGPT and other AI platforms, but they haven't really seen how AI can be used to solve real-world problems, even though it is being used all over the place. I'm excited to see what the future holds for AI. I believe that it has the potential to make our world a better place.
Daniel Zaitzow
@divad_sanders Couldn't agree more - Do you have any major concerns about Generative AI? Existential threat to humanity? Disruption of the labor market? Or are you primarily optimistic about the net positive it provides?
Divad Sanders
@dzaitzow I do have some concerns about the potential for generative AI to be used for malicious purposes like creating deepfakes or other forms of disinformation. People specifically using the tech to divide and insert chaos. That's a threat to humanity. But overall, I am optimistic from what I have seen so far which is overwhelmingly using it to improve human life.