Why do we keep insisting on fix working-hours? Why not go async?

Burak Gören
19 replies
Curious about why companies insist on fix working hours instead of async working. 3-4 years ago they also insisted on working on-site but they were enlightened by a virus and they were suddenly convinced on remote working. We liberated on where to work but still not liberated on when to work. Can't we work sync?

Replies

Maciej Zatorski
Async is great but definitely requires more effort when it comes to coordinating the work of the entire team. As someone below said, the main reason why companies avoid async working is because they're afraid that someone's absence will block the workflow of other people. This is completely understandable, however, can also be often avoided if you plan well enough and a proper system is in place.
Great question and discussion topic @burak_goren1 thanks for that! Async is a new era that will change the structure of the way of working I am sure about that. Managing our time will increase productivity, and all virtual meetings will reshape themselves to exist. :)
Milica Begović
Great point! I think for some industries or rather some sectors it definitely should be a matter of choice, given that we all have different energy and focus levels during the day. Plus, it's good to be able to manage your own time, for increased productivity.
some companies already started and benefitting async work culture. I think traditional way of thinking and fear (what if nobody works) are blocking others to move. It so sad that we (humanity) creating systems based on our fears :(
It really depends on the industry. We cannot fix this if we keep taking a one-size-fits-all approach. Standards and urgency of work in one industry is not always comparable to another. Async works for software but is not a good idea for say, healthcare (?)
Burak Gören
@atik_hossain I deliberately said it a bit provocatively. Because after the industrial age, everyone believes that there is only one definition of work. You are so right that it is not an one-size-fits-all approach
Jake Harrison
I think it is because people need work together before we have the remote choices, so fix working-hours is the best option for everyone can work together at the same time!
Elena Tsemirava
Not all companies can afford this for organisational reasons. In many cases, synchronous work of the entire team is necessary. But in general, if the production process allows it, I fully support your proposal.
Eden
I'm all for async work but as an engineer I can struggle when people are in vastly different time zones. When I need code reviews and things like that it can be annoying to wait for hours for a response
@entreeden right? It would be so beneficial to communicate async to get code review without waiting for hours. Totally agree, good point Eden!
Beverly Hunt
Traditional fixed working hours have been the norm for coordination and control. However, embracing asynchronous work offers flexibility, better work-life balance, and the ability to tap into a global talent pool, ultimately increasing productivity and job satisfaction in our increasingly interconnected and digital world.
Artyom Sviridov
That's a tricky one, since there is no exact answer. It depends on many factors: the company itself, the industry, the country and its culture even. Some industries are much more flexible than others in many aspects, and vice versa.
Burak Gören
@sviridov you are right that it is not an one-size-fits-all approach, but people should know that there are different options 👍
Greyson Hunt
Fixed working hours have been the historical norm, providing structure and coordination. However, the shift toward asynchronous work is driven by the desire for flexibility, the rise of remote work, global workforces, and technology that enables remote collaboration, offering a more results-oriented approach and improved work-life balance. The optimal approach depends on the nature of the job and industry.
Async working is very very hard. Even the best companies cannot adopt it and calling employees back to office.
Burak Gören
@johnberg I think there is a confusion about async and remote working. Also; I think having alternatives is better than having just a single way of working
nfkdeidjsjks jdjsnsksodbd
Absolutely agree! The shift to remote work highlighted the importance of flexibility. Async working could empower individuals to manage their time effectively. It's time for companies to embrace not just where, but also when we work. Let's unlock bloggersman the full potential of sync and create a more adaptable work culture.