Who is interested in learning some basic local phrases before traveling to a foreign country?

Phillip Chan
5 replies
I always feel frustrated when traveling to a foreign place where people don't speak the languages I know (not even English). It just seems impolite not to respond or understand each other... (maybe I'm overthinking πŸ˜…) But sometimes when I spoke out just a few pharses like "Hello" or "Thank you" in their local languages by memorizing, I can truly see the smile on their faces! That's one of the reasons I've been exploring the feasibility to build an app to teach me some basic phrases in any other languages.

Replies

Denis Angilella
Hello @phillip_chan, Indeed, when travelling with our kids we always learn a few words in the country's language. Counting from 0 to 10, say Hello and Goodbye and politeness. Laughs guaranteed when we try to improve our pronunciation together with our sons! Btw, if you are looking for family travel ideas, my product [Famxplor](https://www.producthunt.com/post...) can be helpful
Phillip, I completely agree that knowing a few phrases in the local language can transform interactions and convey respect when traveling. Your app idea sounds fantastic for bridging communication gaps and could make a world of difference for travelers looking to connect more authentically with new cultures.
Phillip Chan
@felix_f_tao Thanks for your comment. I know there are a lots of language learning platform out there. But those traditional learning methods are just not what I needed when traveling. It seems too much of a commitment. I want something more practical and useful while not overwhelming!