What tool is good for recording?

Abid Unnisa
11 replies
I am a video content creator and I have used quite a few tools like screencast-o-matic and OBS. I even used zoom. But i need a simpler and want to explore free tools too. Any recommendations?

Replies

Richard Gao
A good free tool I've used in the past is screencast-o-matic.
Shi Ling
If you are on Mac OS, it already comes with two free tools that are pretty decent: QuickTimePlayer for screen and audio recording and iMovie for editing. I've use them all time for creating product demos and product video tutorials for @ui_licious . iMovie also has noise-cancellation software, which does a pretty good job. If you want to do both camera / webcam + screen recording together, like Loom, apparently you can start a webcam recording first, place the window in a corner of your screen, and then start a second screen recording session. I haven't found a compelling need to use paid tools with this setup.
Jason Andries
If you would just like to record your screen and audio, Mac enables you to do so with command + shift + 5. You can even choose the size you would like to record in. If you make presentations or any visual asset in Canva, it also allows you to record it for free with a mini circle that uses your webcam. Just click the share button and there you'll find the option to record your presentation, with the option to download an mp4 file of it afterward.
Abid Unnisa
@jason_andries1 yes, I just need the screen and audio. I didn’t know about this feature in Mac. I must try it. Thanks!
Pragruthaa Rabichandran
Right now Loom is my go-to.