What's the story of your brand name? How did you decide to pick the name?

Rohan Chaubey
41 replies
Hello Product Hunters, Just curious - What's your brand or product name? How did you decide to pick the name? Was there a big brainstorming session? Did it have a different name at first? Would love to hear the story in the comments! P.S. I hunted Namify AI today that helps you generate a brand name with AI and also checks for trademark, domain and social usernames + offers a free logo → https://www.producthunt.com/post...

Replies

Toni
We were looking for a name that would be short, easy to remember , not too descriptive but that would convey the core idea of our social listening platform for lead generation. Being from Portugal and my co founder living by Spain, I looked for Latin words. I came up with « busca » which means search in Portuguese/spanish. It made sens as we « search for online mentions from keywords» And It became buska, with the K for keyword 😊
Arthur Leclercq
For our next Launch, Vitamin AI, we brainstormed a lot to find the right name, it took us many weeks, going from one to another each week. At the end, we came up with Vitamin AI, Vitamin is a boost for humans, AI a boost for companies! Ambitious but quite fun name ahha
Namrata Arya
We actually had an internal contest to pick our brand name - Namify. Since we are a business name generator. It was a long and gruelling process unfortunately since we obviously didn’t have access to Namify then 😉
Tymek Zapała
@namrata_arya Wow, that's a really tough task. Come up with a name for a name generator! But I think you did awesome!
Namrata Arya
@tymzap haha i know right! We have a great team that helped come up with amazing ideas though. Just that the process was long and even frustrating at times because it's so hard to find a name that checks all the boxes
Coral Lauren
Great question! For our upcoming launch of EMOZ.io, we aimed to secure a 3 or 4-letter domain that is easily pronounceable and memorable. Our thinking was: "Imagine someone mentioning our product in a podcast – it should be easy to remember and pronounce in English and potentially other languages." This led us to seek a short and catchy domain name. Given the brevity, we also wanted it to be an acronym that clearly conveys what our product does. After considering various options, we settled on EMOZ.io, which stands for **E**lectronic **M**ark **O**wnership **Z**one!
Joel
Launching soon!
Our product is Sider AI, an AI assistant, we chose it from dozens of names. AI helped us analyze them, and after a group discussion, we decided on it. It means "everywhere, always by your side." Our new iOS version will be released next week. We hope everyone will support us.🔥🔥🔥
Elly
SlashPage(A website builder that makes creating a webpage as simple and easy as creating a notion document) The idea is to slash the homepage to make web pages much more lightweight
Paulina Hryniewicz
Survicate = Survey + Suricate (another name for a meerkat) 🐒 Supported your launch :)
Jesscia Nelson
I must say it was a big brainstorming session. We eventually chose the name of the famous explorer Ferdinand Magellan, the first European to sail around the world. Our platform provides data to promote our users' global trade business, and it is named TradeMagellan.
Zenda
My brand name is LinkedCRM AI, which stands for LinkedIn + CRM. We brainstormed many names based on the keywords from LinkedIn, but most of the domain names have already been registered. Since we also support exporting potential customer data from LinkedIn to CRM, and "Link" implies connection, we eventually chose LinkedCRM after a voting process :D Namify is very nice! Already U+C.
Luca
That is a good question. I picked the name Focused because the productivity system I have built is all about helping people achieve targeted focus on their goals. This is achieved by helping to define their life vision, then breaking this down into goals, projects milestones and tasks. This system along with a regular review system, habit tracking, journal and a full knowledge and organisation system built in will help people become focused to achieve their goals. On a side note, my brand icon is a heart because Focused can become the foundation to a person's life, become like a vital sign. So what best way to represent that than a heart.
Marie-Philippe Leblanc
Our product is called Fleso! (here's our waitlist just in case 😉 (https://www.producthunt.com/prod...)) We went on Namecheap auction and looked up what was available and chose from that. Our team spent so much time in the past to find business names but it was such a waste of time in the end that we decided to go a simpler route!
Ankur Sharma
Choosing the name wiseAdvizor was all about capturing the essence of what we stand for – wisdom and guidance. We wanted something that spoke to the expertise and insight our mentors bring, and "wise" seemed like the perfect fit. "Advizor" reflects the role our mentors play in advising and supporting others. So, wiseAdvizor isn't just a name; it's a commitment to connecting you with the best mentors to help you navigate your journey to success.
Sophie Wyne
We got our name from the Danish word arbejdsglad, which means you love your job - you wake up every morning excited for work! We wanted our tool to reduce tedious, boring tasks and help make that a reality :)
Tymek Zapała
Great question! For my Trello budgeting extension (Colorful Budget) I wanted an encouraging name that makes impression of fun. Because that is the goal of the product - to transform budgeting from soul-draining chore to almost even enjoyable task. Also I wanted it to stand out from the rest of corporate-themed extensions :)
My3 Murthy
Great question! While I was not involved in naming our company- I know the story. Bluemoso started off as a company to help people grow on LinkedIn. Now our vision is much larger & beyond LinkedIn- however the name still makes sense. Blue- is blue oceans for up & coming social media platforms & Moso is one of the fastest growing bamboo on earth. Hence the name Bluemoso! :)
Suchal Bojamma
When we were looking for an ATS ourselves, we ended up with quotes that could bankrupt a small company like ours 😅. So, we decided to build something internally and jokingly named it PyjamaHR, implying that we can do hiring in our pyjamas.
Rowe Morehouse
Choose product names based on search terms you want to rank for.
Konrad S.
For my advanced search engine for mobile apps, there was an obvious name option that was luckily not taken: App Finder. My company name is another matter, I thought about it a long time and had many candidates, but at some time I was sure I'd found it: Skyica. See skyica.com
Walt Wu
I think the name Evernote is pretty good. Initially, my startup was intended to create a tool similar to Git for mechanical engineers. I admire the craftsmanship spirit of mechanical engineers, so I named it EverCraft, and I’ve been using this name ever since.
Pratiksha Dake
I was building a tool to solve the problem of "writer's block". The opposite of writer's block is hypergraphia - which means too many ideas on mind to work productively. Again a negative word. So, dropped hyper and kept only graphia to make it https://www.graphia.ai Graphia also means peace of writing in greek.