What platform do you enjoy using most for both selling and consuming online courses?

Daniel Zaitzow
11 replies
Are there features that you find to be more useful/fun than others? I personally love using https://brilliant.org/ because of how they seem to have mastered gamification where its not too much but it still makes the learning experience engaging + informative.

Replies

Sachin shajan
Hey Daniel, To ask this question I belive you might be really into the Edtech domain. I am here to calrify one of my questions as well Have you heared about or tried Edwiser Bridge - https://edwiser.org/bridge-wordp... And this allows you to sell courses from your course site, and by that I mean wordpress course site. If you know about this, kindly check it out
Jimbo
I'm honestly not the most prolific user of online courses, I did use lynda/linkedin learning for a bit as it came as part of the benefits of my job. I also started a course on coursera on quantum mechanics, but quickly abandoned it as I realised I'd overcommited my time and had to cut back. I think important features of online courses would include reminders and help to setup a routine or get back into a course that you've started. It's easy to fall off the wagon when things get busy, and then forget about the course if there's no incentives. All my courses were free, and there were no exams, I was just interested, but that wasn't enough once life got busy. Hope this helps :)
Daniel Zaitzow
@jeducious Super insightful - Do you think you'd be more incentivized if there were push notification / email notifications etc?
Jimbo
@dzaitzow I have a couple of perspectives here, me, personally, I am intrinsically motivated (despite my difficulties of keeping up with the courses, everyone eventually gets too busy 😝), I learned to play piano and guitar, self taught. For me, I just like to know how to do stuff, and so yes, I think reminders are helpful, better would be a schedule, and reminders to stick to it. Life is hectic and I live off my calendar, a scheduling assistant that integrates with my calendar would definitely help as then I can effectively budget time for the course. Then there are a lot of people who are extrinsically motivated. So think, you can have this course for free, so long as you complete it in x -days. Maybe that's going a bit too far, perhaps you can have a reward instead of a punishment! But generally having some 'thing that happens if' attached to a course helps with motivation to stick to it. Generally, I am a big believer in routine, if you can help people establish routine, then they'll reliably complete more often. Linkedin and Coursera didn't, so I fell off the wagon.
Daniel Zaitzow
@jeducious Yea that makes total sense. Food for thought for sure but I think there is something there in relation to routine and accountability - not exactly sure what but I will throw it on the drawing board!
Lindsay Davis
@jeducious Totally get it! Life can be a juggling act. Reminders and routine support are key for staying on track with courses. Thanks for sharing your experience – it's spot on!
Lindsay Davis
It's pretty classic—Udemy! 📚
Geri Máté
I used Udemy a lot a couple years ago. Now I'd rather go with courses on Youtube.
Daniel Zaitzow
@geri_mate If you followed a Youtube channel (one that you loved) and they were promoting a course on a platform you were unfamiliar with - do you think that would be a barrier for you?
Geri Máté
@dzaitzow Depends on if I see value in the course. I can definitely see the new platform underperforming a main reason why I'd leave the course but if the course seems good, especially if it's from someone whose courses I've been familiar with, I'd give it a try.