What is your most powerful motivator when you lack the energy to work? 😭

Zekiye Nur Kesici
25 replies
Hello, everyone! Today is not a day when my motivation is at its peak; instead, it is a day when I feel depressed and helpless. 😔 What keeps you going on days like these? Can you motivate me? 🥹

Replies

Dani
Coffee in hand, I go outside for a moment to feel the sunshine, open air, and check on the nest some weird bird made in my flower pot. "I am solving a worthwhile problem." "I can take it easier today and still be productive - I'll take a smaller chunk and just do that." "Maybe I'm getting burned out with this section - I'll tackle another area that needs attention and that could be refreshing." Listen to your mind and your body (I know, so cheesy). But working refreshed is waaay more productive that trying to power through. Reaffirm what started you down this path in the first place. When all else fails, do chores - I find my motivation to get back to work goes waaaay up after dusting wainscoting for an hour :D
Alex Todd
That's sad, Zekiye. It's in you to choose how you want to experience life. Accept how you feel and choose what you would prefer to experience in the future. Pick a purpose that you can deeply commit to, such as your health or a relationship, food, shelter, etc., and imagine the consequences of not being committed to it. Now, start thinking about what you could do to make progress toward living your EXISTENTIAL purpose.
Janine N
Move your body, 5 minutes can make all the difference. I swear by yoga with Adrienne - give it a go :)
Janine N
@charmandro Right?! I mean how can you not? Sweeet Benjie :)
Azfar
Whenever I feel low or lack in motivation I usually think of rewarding myself with my favorite food by going out to nice fancy restaurant once I complete all my tasks, thinking that keeps my motivated 😁
Ibrahim Arz63
Bana yardımcı olabilir misiniz lütfen 🙏
Blake Whittington 👾
I need the same advice, so thanks for asking. When it's tough for you*, consider that you're working for your future self and friends/family! Also, check the calendar to make sure that you don't just need a good break, yeah?
Yannell Selman
@danielle_withers I’d also say that self care isn’t enough - companies need to make systemic change to reduce burnout culture. That’s the only way to address the root causes of burnout.
David Cline
Hang in there! Sometimes when I can't find the energy to build, I find it easier to plan for tomorrow. Especially if it's something I can do in a nice cafe or somewhere else that I enjoy hanging out.
Aleksej Vukomanovic
When a day like that arrive, forcing yourself to stay motivated can be contra productive. It is better to take a nap and do something that would help you relax. Go for a drive, or some change of scenery, trying a new food, and then tomorrow will be better
James Hallahan
A walk to the local coffee shop with a podcast on. I find being outside brings about thoughts and motivation.
George Apostolov
Sun, you have to go outside first thing in the morning to catch some sun. And of course coffee and energy drinks if you haven't increased your tolerance level too high. Other than that, I find that consistent weekly exercises allow me to be more productive in the long runs Because the body and the mind are connected and your performance depends on both
Apostolos Toptsis
Honestly just take a break! I know it's cliché, but going to the gym, going out for a drink, watching a movie or your favorite netflix show. It's okay to step away and unwind. Avoid burnout, there is no rush for anything. We're all on our own timeline.
maryam sh
Coffee, money, and if they don't help, just think about the things you have learned the previous year. The fact that every day you gain and experience something new.
Charlotte Chiang
Sorry to hear this - we've all been there. On days like this I try to be gentle with myself. I give myself simple tasks that I know I can accomplish without much difficulty - usually that builds up my sense of achievement and motivates me to do more. Even if I don't manage to achieve my whole to-do list, knowing that I can cross off at least a few items makes me feel accomplished and at peace. Don't be too hard on yourself!
Nathan Luke
Setting clear and achievable goals.
Hamid Khan
Visualizing the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after completing the work.
Eve Box
My only child is my soul and energy to work, especially during times of extreme fatigue..
Mei
Necessity and constraints –– you'll do it when you really need to get it done.
Ramandeep Sharma
hey Zekiye whenever I feel like this , first thing I do is move out of the place where I was working, if I am home then I prefer go to some cafe or if I am at office go back to home it's vice versa. It's just gives your mind time reset and refresh as well as to focus on work. another tip : Adding atleast 1hr of workout routine helps a alot and this feeling of no motivation will hardly come.
Shireen Jaffer
Sit with yourself. Identify what you’re feeling — is it anxiety, exhaustion, lack of fulfillment? I’ve found connecting with my body to be most helpful in these moments. Embracing the feelings and giving them a hug. Trying to understand them to identify the root cause. Not springing into action, instead feeling into it. Sending love!
Yannell Selman
When I feel this way, I make time for High Quality Time-Off: I get emotional, cognitive, and physical distance from work. It can something like visiting a museum, going swimming, or just taking a walk. It clears my head so that I get a bunch of new ideas and am eager to work when I am done. Good luck!