• Subscribe
  • What if you found the perfect competitor?

Guy Barner
    2 replies
    About a year ago, we started working on a new idea. A few months in, the MVP was almost done, everyone we talked to was psyched about it, and all our competitors looked really mediocre. Then something bad happened: we discovered a good competitor. Really really good. And it's not like we didn't do competitive research, it's just that they were under the radar, they had just raised a seed round, and they had almost no online presence. The story is long and you are welcome to read it in the post I wrote on Medium, but in the context of the group I thought there was an interesting exercise here: take your 2-year roadmap. Everything you dream of building. Now take the team, and imagine that you just found a competitor that has all of it, today. What do you do? https://guybarner.medium.com/the-perfect-competitor-a-must-do-exercise-in-product-vision-3867fc2cb1e1

Replies

Zendog Labs
    Celebrate - it means you are either in a market that is healthy enough to sustain an existing competitor or you will at least share the pain and cost of having to educate an unware market
    Paul VanZandt
    Love the post Guy - thanks for sharing! As a founder getting into the online whiteboard space, we've definitely had this conversation more than a couple of times, and I think it's always important not to turn away from conversations like this.