What does your company do (in less than 50 words)

Rohan Pathak
7 replies
Imagine you're in an elevator. Out of nowhere, Mark Zuckerberg enters. You notice he wants to get off at 10 floors above you. Suddenly, he asks, 'Hey, What does your company do?' checking out the merchandise you're wearing. All you have is 10 seconds. What do you say? This is a hypothetical situation of course. But the point is what will you do? There's a saying in the IndieHacker community: 'If you cannot fit what your company does in a Twitter bio, it's not simplified enough!' Advertisers shoot about 6000-10,000 ad bullets to us every single day! What could be your most successful client, might not even pay attention to you if you suck at your elevator pitch. I'm here to make it easy for you. An ideal elevator pitch is: - short - clear - precise Ideally, it should not take you more than 7-10 seconds for you to say it. If someone at a networking event asks you,'What does your SaaS do?' You should be able to say what you do in less than 10 seconds. Because they don't have all day to hear about your: - brand story - values - vision - mission Let's create an elevator pitch for you now: 'I help X do Y without Z' where X: your customer avatar Y: Their dream outcome Z: Their main objection So if you own a SaaS that helps Twitter creators, here's what the elevator picture would look like: 'We help Twitter creators build their personal brand with powerful data visualization' One key point to keep in mind here is to be as specific as possible. Using vague words will only confuse your target market. And people will look through your brand as if it was invisible. If possible, use the exact words and phrases your target market uses. For example, if you have a fitness app, avoid this elevator pitch: 'We help stay-at-home moms lose fat without going to the gym Instead, use the language they usually use: 'We help stay-at-home moms reduce belly fat without stepping a foot in the gym' Aim to be clear, not clever. You can also use it in your: - LinkedIn Bio - Instagram bio - Twitter bio - Youtube description - Business card description That's a wrap! If you want my help you grow from $100 MRR -> $1000 MRR and beyond, send me a DM! If you want practical and actionable tips to grow your SaaS, consider following me!

Replies

Tyler Kim
This is a great tip, thanks for sharing! Here's mine: Scraft asks AI-generated questions to help you craft better arguments in writing
Rohan Pathak
@tylertaewook this is a good start Tyler. Your product is interesting, can you share its link here?
Lauren Thomas
Love this post Rohan! Here's mine: Vouch produces great video testimonials, every time. Preparing for our Product Hunt launch really helped us crystallise it 😅 What do you think?
Tommy De Rossi
notaku.so Build your startup essential websites using Notion as CMS