What did you sacrifice when you started to run a business? ⚖️

Without a doubt, when you work on something of your own, you probably sacrifice more to make time for the start-up. What did it cost you? And on the other hand – what did it bring to your life? ---------- When it comes to me, ⬇️ There are a few things I perceive as downsides: – 🤸‍♀️ reduced the time spent on exercise – 📚 read significantly less books 🥲 – 🧍‍♀️ less time spent with family or friends – 👩‍💻 overusing online access ⬆️ Tho, quite good things happen too: – ✈️ travelling more than ever – 😊 meeting interesting people – 🎯 thanks to those great guys I have the opportunity to learn/pick up new activities or hobbies I try to find something positive about it, but generally, I wouldn't trade the freedom I have now for the time I had previously. I only need to portion my time better in some terms.

Replies

Alex Bozhin
Lots of money and time 😄
Toni
Great topic. Sacrificed hobbies : guitar, books, going to concerts/theater Time with Family & Friends Gained : Meeting fascinating people Work on what I love Sense of focus
Business Marketing with Nika
@toni_pm Sense of focus – How do you handle this one? Because I feel that the more I am present online, the more I am distracted! 😃 I didn't know that you were into music. 🙂 Would be great to renew this hobby.
Toni
@busmark_w_nika sorry, I meant sense of focus, because sacrificing the other stuff made me realize and forced me to focus to be more effective at the different things 😅😅 : Focus on work when at it. Focus on family when with them. Focus on myself when I go climbing or running. Cause like you say, it s easy to get distracted a lot ! (Yeah music is a passion, so much so that I was a concert producer years ago)
@toni_pm aaa, understood. :D Do you have anywhere your debut albums? :D YouTube? :D
Toni
@busmark_w_nika oh no, i'm not talented enough 😅 i play guitar as a hobby only. I booked and produces tours/ concerts for other talented artists like :
@toni_pm are you a jazz lover? I like this type of music for chilling but most of the time I am a rock Kid! 🤘😜
Mark Lemuel M
Sacrificed: 9-5 financial status , time with friends, leisure time Gained : TIME Meeting fascinating people Work on what I love Sense of focus money management self-development negotiating sales something schools won't teach
@kilopolki In this case, there are significantly more pros. I usually see things pessimistic so probably that's why I listed more cons. 😅 But you are right. Everything you listed in advantages, I experienced as well.
Mark Lemuel M
@busmark_w_nika I wanted to post also the importance of sanity and health which sometimes I exchange for purpose. which at some point belongs to sacrifice
@kilopolki think that people out there could be interested in how to manage their health while working on projects :)
Mark Lemuel M
@busmark_w_nika most of the entrepreneurs are crazier than they think. they leave their comfort zones in order to create a path on their own. that my friend, is already an example of total independence To be able to think critically on your own from how you get paid down to asset/liability/money/time management and leverage. and of course, religious beliefs and family.
@kilopolki when you want to be an entrepreneur, you need to be crazier otherwise you couldn't do it :D
André J
Launching soon!
Pro: Freedom to work on what you really want on your terms. Freedom to manage your own time on your terms. Con: Not much.
@sentry_co Time – agree with that. Since not being somewhere I feel like having 4x more time than ever. It's like another cat life to my count.
André J
Launching soon!
@busmark_w_nika Freedom of task and freedom of time. that's all you need. Like a wild cat in the jungle with freedom to roam and do whatever. Always happy. A chained cat in a zoo, always unhappy.
Dan O'Malley
I consider all the sacrifices I'm making now the price for the freedom that I'll have. Hopefully sooner than later. I don't want to depend on a job for my income and health insurance. I've been laid off 3 times in 2 years. That sparked me to take action on the ideas I always said I'd do later.
@dan_o_malley you said it pretty accurately. We all want to have that freedom in the future so we work more now. 🙏
Salar Davari
I can't say I sacrificed this or that but I remember I was under lots of stress during the first 6 months. Happily, things started to looing up sooner than I expected.
@salar__davari yeah, you had to leave some habits/comfort zone. What has changed to the better?
My3 Murthy
Great topic! listening to everyone's answers makes you feel less alone Sacrificed: hobbies, reading more fiction books (sometimes you just need to escape), time with friends & family. Gained: Sense of purpose, meeting interesting people who are doing off-beat things, reading more non-fiction books/audiobooks etc., a community of people who wants to do more than 9-5 with their life.
My3 Murthy
@busmark_w_nika what was your fav. non-fiction book?
@my3_murthy Gosh, not only one :DDDD Malcolm Gladwell's book eg Outliers: https://amzn.to/3xdpsf3 Freakonomics: https://amzn.to/3RkPALO I should create a list :D
My3 Murthy
@busmark_w_nika love outliers! Haven’t read freakonomics - adding it to my list! Maybe you should make your next discussion about your fav. Reads- I would love to see it!
Kshetez Vinayak
I've sacrificed playing fewer games, spending less time working out, and missing out on basketball. On the flip side, I've gained immense enjoyment and fulfillment from pursuing my passion. By the way, I'm launching a new product soon. Let's connect and share our startup journeys! If you have a minute, please subscribe to our launch!
Hassaan Shakir
I'm not Full time into business yet, but I've read multiple stories, about people sacrificing quality time with family and friends. I am willing to sacrifice everything expcept positive connections (family and friends) and health. I even advocate for making your business a core place to foster healthy relationships with others. Warren Buffett once said: "Basically, when you get to my age, you’ll really measure your success in life by how many of the people you want to have love you actually do love you. That’s the ultimate test of how you’ve lived your life."
@hassaan_shakir The thing is that not everybody in your environment can understand what you are trying for. And sometimes those people are relatives and friends. But I hope you will not experience it. Keep going!
Gurkaran Singh
Running a business is like a strategic game of balancing acts; sacrificing movie nights for boardroom lights, but hey, at least the ROI comes in the form of entrepreneurial adventures and networking treasure hunts! Time to level up that time management skill tree! 🚀