• Subscribe
  • What culture shock have you had?

AuroraW
    20 replies
    One of the biggest surprises for me was adjusting to different communication styles. In some places, people are super direct, while in others, they’re more about subtle hints. It was a bit of a learning curve, but also pretty entertaining trying to figure it all out! Have you ever had a culture shock moment that made you go, "Wait, what just happened?" How did you handle it? 😅✨

Replies

Nathan Covey
    When I lived in Argentina for two years. Completely different than anything I'd ever experienced. New language, different culture, different foods. I just opened my heart to it and ending up falling in love with the place!
    AuroraW
    AIPhone.AI
    AIPhone.AI
    @nathancovey Glad to hear this! Embracing a new language and culture can be such a transformative experience.
    Udaya Sri
    One of the biggest culture shocks for me was discovering that many people don't take off their shoes when entering their homes. In India, it's an automatic habit to remove your shoes before going inside. I was so surprised to see that this isn't common practice everywhere.
    AuroraW
    AIPhone.AI
    AIPhone.AI
    @udaya_sri It's definitely an interesting difference! I was surprised by that too when I first encountered it. Thanks for sharing.
    Martin Gulp
    I experienced a huge culture shock when I moved to Japan. I had to learn to be very attentive to details and non verbal cues to fit in better
    AuroraW
    AIPhone.AI
    AIPhone.AI
    @martin_gulp It’s impressive how you embraced the challenge and adapted to fit in so well. Well done!
    Lia thomas
    When I traveled to Brazil, I was surprised by how late everything started. Meals, parties, and even business meetings often begin hours later than what I'm used to.
    AuroraW
    AIPhone.AI
    AIPhone.AI
    @lia_thomas That’s definitely a big adjustment! Hope you enjoyed the experience despite the change in schedule!
    Dinda Nancy
    I was surprised by the food portions in the U.S. They’re often much larger than what I’m used to. 🍔
    Tariq Waseem
    @dinda_nancy Your observation is spot on, and your cultural shock is entirely valid. According to Washington State University, Americans consume 815 billion calories of food each day—about 200 billion more than necessary, which could feed 80 million people.
    Sana Khan
    In some countries, tipping is not common at all. I was surprised when I found out it’s not expected everywhere.
    Emily Wheeler
    I was shocked by how punctual people were in Japan. I had to adjust quickly to always being on time or even a bit early!
    Tariq Waseem
    @emily_wh_eeler Despite being a modern and advanced nation, it's admirable that Japan continues to uphold its traditional values.
    Pintu Kumar raj
    I was totally surprised by how different meal times can be in various cultures—some places eat super late!
    Chandan kumar
    I had a big culture shock when I realized how different people handle personal space. It was odd at first but fascinating to learn about.
    Lucille
    I was thrown off by how different greeting customs can be. In some cultures, a hug is normal, while in others, it’s a firm handshake. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it was a fun learning experience!
    Blondelle Pai
    n the Middle East, I was taken aback by the importance of hospitality and the elaborate rituals around meals.For me, it was a beautiful experience, though I did have to adjust to being offered food constantly. It was a warm welcome in every sense.
    Tariq Waseem
    When I visited Dubai, I was surprised to see that many people went to work in casual attire, with some even wearing shorts. Additionally, when I dined at a restaurant, I noticed many Indian guys eating rice with their hands rather than using spoons.
    Megan Elizabeth Parker
    Definitely experienced that working across different regions! In some places showing up 30 min late to a meeting is totally normal while in others 5 min late is disrespectful. Takes some getting used to the cultural differences around time and punctuality for sure. I found it helps to align expectations early on.
    Isabella Claire Anderson
    Oh totally, I experienced that when collaborating with a team in Latin America. For them, a 9am meeting could mean anywhere from 9-10am, whereas I'm used to everyone being ready to go right at the scheduled time. Takes some adapting on both sides to find a rhythm that works!