• Subscribe
  • What are some common misunderstandings about startups?

Leo Kim
    19 replies
    Despite the popular portrayal of successful startups and their large funding amounts, high CEO salaries, etc., not all startups experience financial success, nor is their journey always smooth sailing. It's not just about having a good idea. This discussion aims to dispel any misconceptions about startups.

Replies

Victor Bianconi
    The idea that building a better (or more complete) product than your competitors is the key to success. It's not. Being the first in a category is. Hence, marketing is 99% of the time more important than what your product even does.
    Freddie Lee
    Idea is all you need!
    Leo Kim
    @freddie_lee While having a great idea is certainly important, it's often not enough to achieve success.
    Gabriel Romero
    @freddie_lee I tend to disagree, you can have the best idea/product in the world, but if nobody is aware of it or can see its value than it won't drive adoption.
    Leo Kim
    @won_park thanks, anyway Starting a successful startup requires more than just a good idea and external funding; it takes hard work, dedication, and adaptability.
    Greg ⚡️ Join The ChatGPT Post newsletter
    @won_park @leo_under and a strong market fit, otherwise the rest won't help you much
    Gabriel Romero
    I believe what makes a good startup is an idea/product that solves real world problems of today, not tomorrow. Parting from that is a mixture of marketing, trial and error, feedback, etc. It is my experience that you need to be quick to fail and see what works and what not. Also something that is usually not mentioned that much is message market fit (MMF). It does not matter how you perceive your product but rather how your user/customer perceives it. E.g. you may think your product does X but people think you do Y.
    Justin Bassett-Green
    Some people mistakenly believe that any of us actually know what we're doing.
    LisaKim
    @jtbg LOL. the best thing about a startup is its unpredictability because you don’t even know what’s going on now moreover the future 😂
    Ava Seo
    While venture capital funding can be helpful for startups, it is not the only way to finance a new business. There are several other sources of funding, including bootstrapping, crowdfunding, and angel investors.