• Subscribe
  • “verify your email” step upon signup ? Yes or No ?

Toni
    13 replies
    Most SaaS require to verify email upon signup. You receive an email and need to click to validate your signup. It adds friction but is better for safety. Do you use it for your products or not ?

Replies

Daisy Rosy
    Yes, I always implement email verification. It adds an extra layer of security and helps build a quality user base.
    Rupal Saini
    No, as you mentioned, it creates friction. Since we are in the early stages, we haven’t enabled this option in our product yet. But , I believe that as our product and customer base grow, it will be valid to add such an option to protect the product from harmful attacks.
    Raymond Yeh
    I do that, but users can sign up with Github or Google without that friction too!
    Matthew Baker
    Yes, I use email verification for added security. It helps ensure that signups are legitimate.
    Prince Kumar
    I think email verification is essential for security, so I definitely use it in my signup process. It helps keep things more reliable.
    Billy Boy
    I include email verification to protect against spam and fake accounts, even though it adds a bit of friction.
    Luther Westover
    I definitely use email verification for my products it helps ensure that are genuine. and reduces spam.
    Eddie Hsu
    Not in the first step. Can be a opt-in check when I noticed some issue.
    Yeshwanth Reddy K
    Just use Login with Google or Github. 1. If you still want to use email you can just use Login with magic links (users get a login link which only works once) or 2. You can just have an extra field in the JWT email-verified: false and provide access to all non crucial features like browsing and just show them they need to verify themselves for crucial features like posting.
    Kavya Tripathi
    Yesss. Extra layer of security is required.
    Zachary William King
    Agreed, email verification adds friction. We skipped it for our MVP to reduce signup steps. But as we scale, definitely considering it to cut down on spam accounts and boost deliverability. A middle ground could be optional verification - explain the benefits but don't require it. Build trust first, then gently nudge key actions.
    Toni
    @zacharywilliamking thanks for sharing. To me that’s the best approach. When you start you want to avoid friction and get people to test your product asap in the best conditions As you grow, spammers and bots become relevant and adding safety measures makes sense and becomes a necessity