• Subscribe
  • Using external services for everything may not always be the best idea...

Mohammed Kheezar Hayat
    3 replies
    (for technical builders) External 'X as a service' tools, especially large ones are created for typical use cases (even if the blurb does not say so explicitly): they are in the end products and thus 'packages of emphasis' and highly opinionated. However, your use case, especially if you are at a startup, is unlikely to be typical. So even if a product promises to 'solve X' for your stack, it is worth considering whether you would be better off solving X yourself; with the aid of more granular, technically focussed packages/services, rather than a larger, business focussed one. Maybe this is one more reason to learn to code! Thoughts?

Replies

Claudia Nathan
    Agreed! So far I’ve built exclusively without code, and that has taken me further than it could’ve 5 years ago, but I’m now learning full-stack development because the accumulated costs of all the tools needed when you can’t build stuff yourself is obscene. And often rigid, like you’ve said—if your startup is a good one, it’s not likely to be ‘typical’.
    Milo Nathaniel Thorne
    I agree that relying too heavily on all-in-one services can be limiting, especially for startups with unique needs. Stitching together best-of-breed specialized services and building key pieces yourself often leads to a more flexible, tailored solution. Definitely a good reason to sharpen the coding skills! Of course, it's a tradeoff and using pre-built services can accelerate time-to-market. Like most things, the right approach depends on your specific context and priorities.
    Gurkaran Singh
    Using external services for everything is like ordering takeout for every meal - convenient, but sometimes you just crave a homemade solution tailored to your unique taste, right? Time to sprinkle a little DIY magic in your tech kitchen! 🧙‍♂️