• Subscribe
  • This is what confused me most as a Newbie on Product Hunt

Derek Liu
    18 replies
    When I first explored product launch pages, I was confused by terms like "hunter," "maker," and "hunting." After some research, I found it helpful to think of these terms in relation to common forum terms: Hunt = Submit a post Hunter = Poster (i.e. OP or original poster) Maker = People who contribute to creating the product This makes things easier to understand. Since anyone can post about any product, the person who posts it is the hunter (or poster), and they don’t have to be the maker of the product. If makers post the product themselves, they can be both the maker and the hunter. As for K icon, I think it stands for karma, similar to Reddit, as they are both related to YC "kitty icons" thanks to @n_demia. I hope this helps other newbies! References: [1] Launch Guide > Definitions [2] Launch Guide > How Product Hunt works

Replies

Susan R. Pruitt
    Thanks for this! The terms hunter and maker were confusing for me as well. Your analogy with forum terms makes perfect sense.
    Goluraja
    Thanks for breaking that down! I was getting mixed up with who does what. This helps me understand how to navigate the site better.
    Gleen Parker
    I’m new to PH too, and this clears up a lot for me. It’s good to know that anyone can post, even if they didn’t create the product.
    Derek Liu
    @gleen_parker As far as I know, PH was designed for anyone to share new products, especially in the early days when there weren’t many makers :D
    katheleen Chips
    This is a great breakdown! I was also confused about the roles at first. The comparison to forum terms makes it much clearer. Thanks for sharing!
    Derek Liu
    @katheleen_chips Thanks! The confusion started when more makers began posting their own products on PH. In the early days, people usually shared products they found interesting, and they weren’t typically the creators. That's why terms like 'hunting' and 'hunter' made sense back then.
    Sana Khan
    Totally agree with you. I was puzzled by the different terms and how they related to each other. Your explanation helped clear things up.
    Abigail Phillips
    Understanding how to engage with the community effectively was tricky at first.
    Derek Liu
    @abigail_phillips2 Any tips or insights to share?
    Adam Roger
    Figuring out the best way to get noticed among so many launches challenging.
    Udaya Sri
    I suffered with this too! Took a good amount of time to understand. But I think this is the easy breakdown for newbies.
    Natalia Demianenko
    Thanks for breaking this down, Derek! As a newbie, I found these terms confusing too. Your explanation makes it so much clearer
    Natalia Demianenko
    I just installed the Product Hunt app and found out that the K stands for "kitty coins" 🙂
    Derek Liu
    @n_demia That makes sense since PH uses a kitten for their logo! Thanks for letting me know, will add this info for future readers.
    Shey A
    Thanks for sharing Derek, I'm new here and this is so helpful!