• Subscribe
  • There's a problem with speed at my business. Tell me how you solved yours!!!

Abdurrahman Yiğit
    23 replies
    Hey! I have my own business and we build custom mobile apps from scratch. However, a friend of mine told me that the development process takes longer than normal. My question to you is how do you have a solution to shorten this process? Please consider that we don't want to sacrifice code quality while shortening the time.

Replies

Rachel Marie Thompson
    One thing that helped speed things up for us was optimizing our database queries. We analyzed slow queries, added indexes where needed, and restructured some of the data to avoid complex joins. Also took a hard look at our backend code to identify any bottlenecks or inefficient algorithms that could be improved. Little optimizations can really add up! What part of your stack seems to be the speed pain point?
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @rachelmariethompson Yes you are totally correct. We also had the same issue in our backend and servers. After optimizing queries and server hardware we were good to go. But right know we have a different problem. There are a lot of repetitive tasks such as implementing Stripe. I thought maybe we can build a ready-to-use module for that and implement that module to any app we want. It also brings the idea of selling that kind of modules in the future to my mind. The main goal is to make commonly used features 'modules' and use them. The only problem might be customizability. Would you use that kind of modules that brings some features to your app with easy setup and documentation? It is not an advertisement, Im tryna see something :D
    Rahul Parmar
    I tackled speed issues by streamlining workflows, automating repetitive tasks, and focusing on clear communication. What specific area is slowing you down?
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @rahulparmar2405 I'm having trouble with the step of automating repeated tasks. I thought of using a boilerplate for this. What do you think? How do you automate repeated steps? Is it a good choice to use a boilerplate? Also I am thinking about modularizing some commonly-used features on mobile apps. For example real-time messaging or auth. This way we can use the modules to implement a feature very quickly I believe. It can be more optimized. The only question on my mind is: Since each application needs different things, how possible is it to turn these features into modules?
    Matt El Mouktafi
    Hi, What's your friend background ? Does he have all context ? Be caution with external advice on how fast your development should go. A good start can be to ask your team how they feel the development is going, what's slowing them down ... Now if there's really an issue, you need to identify where it comes from. Is it product, design, software engineering, all of them ? Sometimes the fix can be really easy, like improving a few process, defining the scope better or things like that. Sometimes it can be more difficult, or even be an issue with your team member's skills. But we'll need more details to help
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @melmouk First of all, thank you for trying to help. Yes, my friend has most of the information in general. I think the main problem we are experiencing is in the field of software. We cannot do repeated tasks in a more optimised way. For example, starting a new project. I also thought of using a boilerplate for this. Or features that we build a lot. For example, real-time messaging. I'm thinking of making this a module that can be used in different applications. What do you think about this idea? Before I start testing (because we have limited time and budget), I would like to get ideas from experienced people in this field about whether this idea can work or not. The only question on my mind is: Since each application needs different things, how possible is it to turn these features into modules?
    Matt El Mouktafi
    @apodebana I'm not convinced about using a boilerplate, I've tried this in my agency at the time but I found that it's better to start from scratch with the specificity of the project in mind. Except if you're really always building very similar projects. The module idea seems like a good one to me, I have a few modules / helpers / services I reuse across all my project as they're always more or less the same feature. I've done it in multiple ways : - Use case with repository that are framework agnostic to guide the implementation (clean arch inspiration) - Modules back + module front without CSS or without HTML but with all the methods and helper that I can import into my apps
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @melmouk Ye your right. What was the problem with the boilerplate you tried to use before? By boilerplate I meant something like this: Implementations of commonly used features such as: Onboarding, RevenueCat, Localization, Stripe, Firebase Cloud Messaging (Push Notification), Analytics etc. Software architecture and folder structure: State Management Structure, Data-Flow Structure, API layer etc. Since those features are very common I thought we can build a boilerplate and maybe even sell it in the future. As an agency owner would you use that kind of a boilerplate? If no, why would you not? Don't worry about the learning curve tho. I have something on my mind to fix that. It is not an advertisement, Im tryna see something :D
    Matt El Mouktafi
    @apodebana i dit built two boilerplate like this, with the same logic you have but in the end, for most project I did it ended up making things more complicated because they all have core differences that would have made another implementation more efficient And those task aren’t really long after all once you know how to do them That’s why I stopped using boilerplate and I’m now using more things like modules But it also depends what you’re selling. I was selling highly custom SaaS development for startup, with a need to quickly pivot and iterate the first years, so they all had their specific needs. If you’re always selling the same kind of project then it might make sense, like some people use no code for landing pages
    Alexander Galitsky
    Ever used ‘speed’ supplements? Dunno occasionally works for me.
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @ag94 what do you mean by that? I didnt get it
    Nitesh Jamod
    To solve speed issues, we streamlined workflows by automating repetitive tasks and prioritising clear communication. Empowering the team to make quick decisions also helped reduce bottlenecks and boost overall efficiency.
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @nitesh_jamod I'm having trouble with the step of automating repeated tasks. I thought of using a boilerplate for this. What do you think? How do you automate repeated steps? Is it a good choice to use a boilerplate? At the same time, I am thinking of modularising some commonly used pieces of code and using them quickly in different projects The only question on my mind is: Since each application needs different things, how possible is it to turn these features into modules?
    Valianto
    By asking why its takes longer than normal?
    Donald Hayes
    I started using tools that help manage and prioritize tasks more effectively. This way, we focused on high-priority items and got things done faster.
    Stacey Connolly
    I had the same issue, and what helped was upgrading our internet connection. It made a huge difference in speed and overall efficiency.
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @stacey_con_nolly It's good that you found that the problem is caused by the internet speed, but I don't think that would apply in our scenario. I think it's more of a problem with our software architecture
    Robbie Glenn
    I found that investing in better hardware for our computers made a big impact. Faster processors and more RAM helped our tasks move along much quicker.
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @robbie_glenn Yes, you're absolutely right! We noticed this problem a few months ago and updated our team's computers. I think our current problem is more related to the inability to automate repetitive tasks. Have you encountered such a problem and how did you solve it?
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    Start by looking at areas where things can be further optimized.
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @vaibhavdwivedi I believe I can optimize repeated tasks. I thought of using a boilerplate for this. What do you think? How do you automate repeated steps? Is it a good choice to use a boilerplate? At the same time, I am thinking of modularising some commonly used pieces of code and using them quickly in different projects The only question on my mind is: Since each application needs different things, how possible is it to turn these features into modules?
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    @apodebana You can surely use boilerplates if you know it inside out. Otherwise, you might find yourself spending a lot of time just learning about it. Also, I personally believe you should not jump into modularisation in the early stages. Just my opinion. As long as you know where things are and how you can optimize them, just go for it.