The Startup Rat Race: Is It Worth Sacrificing Your Health and Personal Life?

Won Park
48 replies
I am really curious. Please talk to us

Replies

Jihee Choi
I think it's important to keep your organization fit and interested. It can offset your own sacrifice. But above all, health is important. This is because all activities are revitalized only when you are healthy.
Won Park
@jihee7 Thank you for your detailed advice. I will try it
Won Park
I want to move the fort. Can I just walk around seeing the vision?
Won Park
@youtube_ Do you think so? Ok I will try it
Leo Kim
it is important to consider the potential consequences of sacrificing one's health and personal life in pursuit of startup success. While some may argue that the sacrifices are necessary for success, it is important to prioritize self-care and maintain a healthy balance between work and life to avoid burnout and other negative outcomes.
Won Park
@leo_under What if the CEO refuses?
Carson Cohen
@leo_under @youtube_ Great insight. It's important to love what you do, too. Fusion is an AI-powered prompt-engineering software that renders enhanced GPT prompts. πŸ€– Utilizing the power of Open AI's GPT technology, Fusion generates unique and creative prompts to help you yield higher-quality content. πŸ”₯ Check it out on PH! producthunt.com/products/fusionai-2
Felix Jaeho Kim
Not at all. Consistency is the key to continuous growth.
Won Park
@felix_deepbrain_ai Are you happy? Acually I am not
Ava Seo
Hey there! Sacrificing your health and personal life for any reason isn't a great idea in the long run. Neglecting these essential components of your well-being can lead to stress, burnout, and other physical and mental health issues. You can achieve career success and financial stability while still prioritizing your health and personal relationships. Striking a balance is key! So, take care of yourself and your relationships, while working towards your goals.
Brenna Donoghue
This is so bang on. I think there are seasons of life to go all in, but if startups are going to be your career, long-term health and personal life can't be ignored.
Won Park
@brenna_donoghue What choice did you make?
Brenna Donoghue
@won_park I've leaned hard into startup and then had to step away for awhile after an exit. Took me 5 years to have the energy and excitment to come back in.
Hi there. I think you need to find balance between your work and private life. Without your health, your work will also start suffering.
Won Park
@sandradjajic How many hours do you sleep per day?
David Cagigas
I think vision and goals are so important. To achieve something there can be 100s of different journey's that one can take. Some easy, some difficult. I think you got to make a wise choice.
Won Park
@edworking I am 35 years old. It's embarrassing to say, but I have a lot of worries these days. Thanks :)
Sergey Bunas
Absolutely not! Unless you aspire to be a sleep-deprived, caffeine-fueled zombie with no social life or hobbies. Take care of yourself first and success will follow.
Scholes(κΉ€μž¬ν˜•)
No pain, No gain. That's all. The point is gotta be stronger so you can pain more.
Jonayed Tanjim
It's completely a personal choice.
Won Park
@jonayed_tanjim Sure. What is your choice?
Daniel
Is it still a rat race in the startup world? You get to chart a path so there's an element of freedom. I think it's important to take care of your health, such that you can run a longer race. Sleep well, eat well, keep fit. It's about time management.
Kornel Grunwald
Hi Won, this is a very interesting one. I bet many do not have a choice, right? Once you are down this path, pretty much it seals its fate over you. Especially if you are from an unprivileged background, and an immigrant founder in geographies treating entrepreneurship as a toxic hobby, not a way to break big. Is it worth sacrificing? No. Do you have a choice? Not everyone, no. I've seen founders going for holidays to the Bahamas for their parents' money, and I have seen those going nowhere for 3 years and saving on groceries to survive until the moment when money will start flowing in. And I bet both won't have much different opinion about it.
Joanne Hurley
@kornel_grunwald I think this is a good nuanced reply. Not everybody gets to stop and be fine financially. But even for the less privileged some personal care time is important whatever that can look like.
Kornel Grunwald
@joanne_hurleyv1 by far and absolutely! personal care is basis, yet it is important to recognize what different people mean by the same concept - and hence how much comfort do they have to act on it 😊
Won Park
@kornel_grunwald That's right, I'm a normal person. I don't even have a good background. So I'm worried.
Health? - never Personal life? - depends. Personal life covers broad topics so it should not be all lumped up together as a single item. Spending time with Kids? - Never sacrifice. Going out drinking with your friends?- This could be sacrificed.
Elli Kim
If you're in it for the long run, then no!
LisaKim
Nothing is worth sacrificing your health. As for personal life, I think its okay to put that as second or third priority for a short period of time. I hope you're not sacrificing your health and personal life for your upcoming launch, Won! Take care ☺️
Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
It depends on how much you're going to sacrifice. If it's too much, I would say it's not healthy. Most people build startups to reach wealth, but if we're not healthy and happy, it'll contradict the wealth we're chasing. I think it's super important to have a balance and recognize when we're burnt out. I've been there before, and ditching social media helped me a lot especially if you follow a ton of startup founders in their early 20s who seem to be crushing it. Maybe you can try too