• Subscribe
  • The "OpenAI GPT Store" is opening next week. Will it become bigger than the App Store?

André J
    16 replies
    Imagine being able to download AI apps as easily as you do on the App Store. Will there be a new gold-rush to make the first killer app for AI? Like TikTok and AngryBird was for the AppStore. What do you think will be the first killer AI-app?

Replies

Ioannis Tsiokos
    It will. In fact, you just gave me an idea for a blog post. App Store apps are isolated rom each other (at an OS level they have no way to communicate for obvious security issues). Still, the app store is a huge success because it puts all of them under one roof resulting to powerful economies of scale -> monopoly. On the other hand, GPTs are way more organic and their true power will come as a result of them cooperating with each other. That alone takes economies of scale to a new level. I bet you that Altman's vision for GptStore is a "Global Workforce Store" for the new era. So, yeah, I guess one proxy for the value of that would be the world's GDP in services. Hmm...
    Ioannis Tsiokos
    @sentry_co well, on that point actually, I just noticed today that GPT4 went out and (tried to) find me some free domain names, instead of just giving me domain name ideas as it used to (for me to check by myself). It also proactively asked me to provide more information in order to evaluate these domain names, that was also new "behavior". So, that's more evidence towards more autonomy or what OpenAI is cooking up behind the scenes.
    André J
    @ioannis_tsiokos Nice insight! I think this might be really big actually. Could be that AGI is out of reach for 100s of years, and instead we settle on ASI, and the game becomes more about creating the right infrastructures for this ASi's in a API like store, hopefully more unchained than the app store. I do suspect that there will be rules here as well. as that is also a good thing. App Store with out rules wouldn't work, as no one would trust anything they downloaded.
    André J
    @ioannis_tsiokos I guess they made some partnerships. Let the bundling begin 😅... Looking forward to getting my personal and private home AI working: https://www.bedrock.computer/gal
    ISTIAK AHMAD
    Andre i think so.. a new era of ai marketplace XD
    André J
    @istiakahmad For me the killer feature would be to have payment with OpenAI. Instead of in all these AI startups handling my Visa card details 😅 I think I would try a lot more apps if the AI apps was easier to start using. And AI startups would be able to earn a lot more as well. minus the 30% fee OpenAI will probably require 😅
    ISTIAK AHMAD
    @sentry_co 💯💯 even with 30% i would love to join anyway. Think about this marketplace with 100 mil+ users daily. New GPT millionaires is going to be created this year man! my mind is already blowing 🤯🤯
    André J
    @istiakahmad It's kind of funny that no one made a SaaS App Store. For internet apps.
    ISTIAK AHMAD
    @sentry_co 😅😅 totally, how come smart brains worldwide missed it! 🤣
    Jam Vivi
    Yes, I think so, because it is useful and imagination tools
    Oisin O'Reilly
    It's challenging to predict, but the success of the "OpenAI GPT Store" will depend on factors like user adoption, developer interest, and the value it provides. The comparison with the App Store is ambitious, but time will tell how it evolves.
    Launching soon!
    Not really, we have to see what they offer
    Bertalan Kozma
    I don't think so. Apple is one of the biggest company, a tech monopolyst and if they see the GPT Store as a threat, they will probably make their own version of it. And it also depends on how this GPT store will look in action because if anyone can upload anything, there will be a ton of bad applications, and it's going to be a mess.
    André J
    @berc Microsoft tried that too. Making a mobile OS after apple took the market. M$ learned its lesson and it's time for apple to learn. It's tick tock tick tock. Apple is focused on VR atm. And Siri will get a bit better. But if you try to control AI too much, like apple will. Then the customers are just going to get their AI fix elsewhere. M$ or google or someone else.
    Bertalan Kozma
    @sentry_co Yes, in this case you’re absolutely right. It will be interesting to see how this goes
    Matt James
    Yes , should be interesting to see what Killer app comes from it no doubt.