• Subscribe
  • The Mistake Every Software Creator Makes...

Mehul Fanawala
    22 replies
    Remember that time you spent weeks, maybe even months, perfecting a software feature? Pouring blood, sweat, and tears into it, only to watch it go unnoticed? I’ve been there. ↳ We obsess over the tech. ↳ We go deep into coding and debugging. ↳ We lose sight of our audience. See from their eyes. Here's what they look for: ↳ What problem does it solve? ↳ How does it make their day easier? ↳ Is it intuitive to use? The best feature isn’t the most complex. It's the one that seamlessly integrates into their workflow, making their tasks effortless. Here’s a simple exercise: ↳ List the top 3 features of your software. ↳ Describe its benefit in ONE line. ↳ Now, ask 3 non-tech friends if it’s clear. Adjust accordingly. Because in software, simplicity isn’t about being less. It's about offering more in a way that feels like less. And that, my friends, is the magic. What's the #1 feature in your software you wish everyone knew about? Share in the comments!

Replies

Judith Amarachi 💙
    On point, Mehul. Nothing bores a user more than an overly complex story. And, if there's a proper research there are some features you will discover the users don't need. Simplicity is beautiful.
    Relja Denic
    Nicely said
    Parker Molley
    Agree you have created a deep understanding
    Tyler Loyd
    I agree with most of them, we mostly focus on adding more and more features overlooking the fact that whether our audience even needs it or not.
    Alexander Galitsky
    @amirsohail9 adding new features feels like we’re making progress
    George Burmistrov
    Indeed. I think the problem is that devs are usually really passionate about their software (like any artist is passionate about their art) and it becomes more and more difficult to understand what a user really needs as you are immersed into your project way deeper than anyone else. So yeah, understanding what people need and how your project helps them is crucial. A tool must first and foremost do its priority job and additional features are nice, but not essential.
    Jake Harrison
    Wow, thank you for sharing!
    Mohammad Elzahaby
    for my journaling app memoiri, it is clear this: Open the app and start writing. No friction!
    Sean Ward
    A drastic over-obsession of too many minor/inconsequential things. We then waste and ungodly amount of time working on these things when we should be working on other revenue driving activities.
    wissam tabbara
    I completely agree that it's crucial to step back and view your work through the eyes of your audience. Thanks for the reminder to keep things intuitive and user-centric!
    Yavuz Tunc Emran
    Indeed! The other mistake is underestimating the importance of thorough testing and user feedback throughout the development process.
    Boudewijn Bos
    for now its just that the app exists - but we are launching a plugin soon to automatically add products - so if that's live I would say that feature :p we launched to on PH - go have a look if you have time :)
    David Deisadze
    It’s so much fun to just build haha
    Sagar Patel
    Yeah! You make a really good point! Which is why getting feedback from users using your product is the most valuable!
    Jennifer Lobdell
    The mistake every software creator makes is underestimating the importance of user feedback. Failing to actively engage with users and gather their input can lead to products that don't fully meet their needs, resulting in missed opportunities for improvement and growth. Listening to your users is crucial for building successful software.