• Subscribe
  • The best social for a startup: Twitter or LinkedIn?

Irina Ivashchinenko
    49 replies
    Also, suggest your options in the comments.

Replies

Frank Sondors
    Twitter for B2C and LinkedIn for B2B!
    Nick Anisimov
    @franksondors They developed their account, got followers, and sold through posts.
    Nick Anisimov
    @franksondors I also thought this way all my life until my friends and I started making B2B sales via Twitter.😅
    Nathan May
    @nickanisimov Can confirm! I run a newsletter where we break down how creators grow on social media and for the folks cross-posting on LinkedIn/Twitter it usually started as Twitter. LinkedIn was just an extension of that but most of the value (e.g., people coming to you with deals, being able to bring that audience to the startup you're working on, etc.) is stronger on Twitter. LinkedIn doesn't make it very easy to have 1:1 interactions in the way that Twitter does because LinkedIn has a lot of in-mail limitations. It's also easy to beak into "communities" (e.g., any niche like Ecomm, Newsletters, VC investors, etc.) on Twitter - its algo rewards useful replies and so if you're consistently replying to someone's tweets, they know who you are (roughly), and intros become easier. That said, cross-posting is extremely easy between the two. There are huge creators like Justin Welsh to cross-post identical content between both. I would say writer for Twitter, then cross-post on LinkedIn.
    Olena Bomko
    The LinkedIn Inbound Playbook
    @nickanisimov @nathan_may1 I started on LinkedIn 3 years ago. This year, I started on Twitter. Sometimes, I post the same things, sometimes - different.
    Nick Anisimov
    @nathan_may1 Agree. I think Twitter is becoming a universal social network for the tech community because it is suitable for both work and leisure.
    Nick Anisimov
    @nathan_may1 @olenabomko Any opinion on which is better? :)
    Olena Bomko
    @nathan_may1 @nickanisimov Depends on your product, go-to-market, and your audience.
    Oleg Eltsov
    Myspace, guys. The discussion is over.
    Nick Anisimov
    @oleg_eltsov Myspace is simply beyond competition.
    Salar Davari
    Twitter for learning. LinkedIn for networking!
    Olena Bomko
    @salar__davari I use both for learning, networking, and demand generation :)
    Nick Anisimov
    @salar__davari Twitter started working great for networking, I was surprised myself.
    Max Rush
    Linkedin, of course.
    Nick Anisimov
    @max_rush2 Have you tried Twitter? :)
    Olena Bomko
    Depends on sales-led or product-led.
    Nick Anisimov
    @olenabomko B2B Enterprise sales are unsuitable for Twitter, but who knows what will happen in a few years.
    Olena Bomko
    @nickanisimov That's why I said sales-led or product-led.
    Dzmitry Tsemirau
    It depends on your startup. But both are working well for B2B.
    Sean Ward
    Twitter is growing and wont stop any time soon! Adding long form video, short form video, creator compensation, etc is literally turning it into the everything app. But ultimately, it depends on the target market... If you're targeting old guys in suits, probably stick to LinkedIn.
    George Burmistrov
    Twitter, as LinkedIn is more of a personal social media so to say. Twitter is less formal, you can go to any account (of course, if it's not private) and start a coversation. LinkedIn is more of a place for you to connect/reconnect with people than to promote your stuff.
    Nick Anisimov
    @burmistrov It seems to me that people in the tech industry, on the contrary, do not like formalities, which is why Twitter is becoming a universal tool for work and leisure.
    Carmen Judson
    Twitter is better for reaching a younger audience.
    Iuliia Shnai
    I think if you are B2B Linkedin can be better. There are your customers on LinkedIn