• Subscribe
  • Should Product Hunt have a "downvote" feature?

Manoj Radhakrishnan
    9 replies
    It is always a great experience to participate in community discussions when it is on-topic, well researched and thought provoking. Should Product hunt have a "downvote" feature for users to improve quality of content?

Replies

Krishnaswamy Anand Ganesh
    But aren't upvotes also functioning as downvotes. By comparing upvotes of two different products/ discussions. It easy to get a sense of which is liked more / is popular. In fact having a clear downvote button helps get a market sense of how many people like vs don't like. People launch product for feedback and not solace or compliments.
    Sangamesh Kulkarni
    No, I feel every content is unique in it's own way but I agree to some extent that downvote kind of alerts the author about his views.
    Abid Unnisa
    No no. Downvote would be a really bad idea. Every product is definitely unique on its own.
    phprunner
    Downvotes are a bad idea. If you don't like something, just keep going. I think the only website where downvotes make sense is StackOverflow, to prevent bad advice from spreading.
    Gaurav Parvadiya
    I don’t prefer any demotivation.
    Ashok kumar
    No down voting for products for sure. Downvoting is controversial even in discussion threads and bound to be abused.
    Shashank Attarde
    Depends on the community I guess. A community like PH is more geared towards boosting good products (as opposed to bringing down controversial ones) so it makes sense to not have downvotes. A community like Reddit for example, on the other hand is more for expressing opinions so it makes sense to have downvotes there.
    Ayush Jangra ✦
    I don't think Product Hunt should have a downvote feature. I think that the entire point of Product Hunt is to help people find new products, and it's already hard enough to filter through all of them. If we had a way to downvote, then it would make it even harder for people to find the good stuff.
    Indu Thangamuthu
    Let's share only positivity.