• Subscribe
  • Share Your Most Awkward Language Barrier Moments from Travel✈️🤣

AuroraW
    20 replies
    I once tried to ask for a restaurant recommendation in Tokyo, but the pronunciation was a bit off, and I ended up at a completely different place! It was a mix-up, but it turned into a fun culinary detour. 🍣🤔 Have you had any funny or awkward experiences with language barriers while traveling? Share your stories!

Replies

udhay yadav
    In Australia , I confidently asked for jamón at a market, but my pronunciation was so off that the vendor though I asked for jabón soap . He handed me a bar of soap with a grin , and I just awkwardly nodded and bough it! 😂 Any similar mix-ups on your travels?
    john milton
    I once tried ordering a spicy dish in Paris, but my French must’ve sounded more like dessert because I got a crème brulee instead! Not quite the heat I was looking for but hey dessert first isn’t a bad rule to live by! 😅🍮
    AuroraW
    AIPhone.AI
    AIPhone.AI
    @john__milton Haha, that's a classic language mishap! I can only imagine the surprise when the crème brulee arrived. 😂 Have you tried ordering that spicy dish again?
    Jordan bulk
    I once asked for directions in Spain and ended up with a recipe for paella instead! At least I learned how to cook a delicious meal. 😆🍲
    Layla
    I once asked for a coffee in Germany and got a coffin instead. The look on the barista’s face was priceless!
    Edward Paul
    While traveling in Spain, I wanted to compliment a local chef on his delicious paella🥘. I meant to say "delicioso" but ended up saying "delirioso" instead. The chef looked confused and my friend burst out laughing 🤣. We eventually cleared it up, and now it's funny story we always tell.
    Alex Bravo
    In France I tried to order a sandwich but ended up asking for a hamster instead of ham. The waiter gave me a very confused look!😆🥪
    Steve Troy
    My attempt to ask for a taxi in Madrid resulted in me getting a very confused look and a lengthy conversation with a local who thought I needed directions to a farm. It's very funny .
    Candy Portuondo
    I tried to ask for a local map in Berlin but used the wrong word, leading to a mix-up where I ended up with a tour guide. It turned into an informative and unexpected adventure!
    Greffin Dony
    I asked for directions to a museum in Paris, but my attempt at French was so off that I ended up in a pastry shop instead. Not a bad mistake, though I enjoyed some delicious croissants!
    Zackary Mendez
    Tried to order a simple coffee in Rome and ended up with a full meal because I accidentally asked for caffè con tutto instead of just caffè. It turned out to be a great, unexpected lunch.
    Idris Saidu
    I did not faced such moment because I can use Google Translate 🤣
    Nora Roberts
    I was in Italy and was trying to ask for directions to the train station. I kept saying satizone ferroviari (train station) over and over again but the person I was talking to just kept shaking their hand 😅
    One of my most awkward language barrier moments was in Japan when I asked for directions to a temple but accidentally asked for a cat. The locals were so confused until they figured it out and helped me with lots of laughs! 😂
    Dua
    When i while traveling in Spain, I wanted to order a simple coffee but accidentally asked for a coffin instead. The waiter’s confused look was priceless, and my friend’s laughter made it all the more memorable!
    jamesm carmen
    During a trip to Mexico, I tried to compliment the chef on his delicious pizza but ended up saying his pizza was crazy instead. His puzzled expression and my friend's barely contained laughter made it a moment to remember! 🍕😂
    Lucy Howard
    while in France , I wanted to compliment a waiter on his excellent service but accidentally told him his service was sexually exciting. His stunned look and my friend’s uncontrollable laughter made for a memorable evening! 🥖😂
    Jackson Tylor
    My most awkward language barrier moment was accidentally ordering an entire fish platter instead of a single dish at a restaurant, much to the surprise of the waiter and myself!
    Tariq Waseem
    I want not a funny but a difficult experience. Train for local transportation is called "Metro" in Dubai. When I went to Dubai for the first time, I asked many people about the tube, but nobody gave a correct reply. Then I asked a person about the options to go to Dubai Mall, he told me that you can go by Metro or can take a taxi. Then I knew instead of tube or subway, people in Dubai call metro to a train.