Segmented Button vs. Tab

Kehui Guo
4 replies
How do you determine when to use segmented buttons versus tabs in your design?

Replies

Bhhavesh Desalhey
I see the tab used as a primary navigation and placed at the bottom of the screen, whereas the segmented controller is more like a local switch inside a particular screen and is usually placed at the top. They are quite similar in terms of functionality, they just differ visually in the sense that the bottom tab is heavier and conveys more important actions and the segmented controller is lighter and conveys actions with a lower magnitude or somehow related. @nikhil_gandal1 let us know what is your thoughts on this
Nikhil Gandal
@bhhavesh_desalhey I agree with your point the segmented buttons work well for toggling between different view modes like list view vs. grid view or filtering options within a single screen. On the other hand, Tabs are great for things like switching between different categories in an e-commerce app or different sections in the applications. But there are certain things to consider while making the decision, such as user expectations, scalability, and interaction patterns. In my experience, I would recommend testing both prototypes with different users to validate your design decisions
Launching soon!
Segmented Button vs. Tab Contentify AI can help streamline your content creation process and enhance your online presence by automating tasks such as generating visuals, captions, and blog posts. With AI-powered agents, you can easily schedule and publish content across various platforms, optimizing SEO and ensuring a consistent brand presence. Additionally, Contentify's feedback loop allows for content refinement over time, helping you achieve your marketing goals more efficiently. Problem: Contentify can solve the challenge of efficiently creating and publishing content across different platforms while maintaining a cohesive brand identity and optimizing for SEO. Try Contentify AI for Free here just look up Contentify AI
Gurkaran Singh
Deciding between segmented buttons and tabs is like choosing between a quick espresso shot for compact options or a leisurely tea break with multiple sections to explore. How do you take your UI caffeine fix?