• Subscribe
  • PH discussions need to change

Nathan Covey
    12 replies
    I just started being active on Product Hunt a few weeks ago. While I have found value in some of these discussions, most of them seem superficial and aimed at engagement farming. The content just feels ingenuine and shallow, with lots of fake/clearly AI-generated stuff as well. If we could make these discussions more "based" like Reddit it would provide tremendous value to this platform. Be honest and say what you really believe! Don't be afraid to disagree. I will personally do my best to be based on here, but we're going to need others if we really want to change the culture. Who's in?

Replies

Luka Brzin
    You are 100% correct. I prefer Reddit over PH, and a lot of people are saying PH is basically just a platform to post your product, get upvotes and nothing else (no customers, no genuine feedback,..) It's not what it used to be anymore and that is sad :(
    Nathan Covey
    @luka_brzin I'm new to it so I'm not familiar with how it was before. Do you feel like it was different before?
    Olena Bomko
    The LinkedIn Inbound Playbook
    The LinkedIn Inbound Playbook
    You're right. I see a lot of spam.
    Nathan Covey
    @olenabomko Maybe there is something the Product Hunt team could change on the website to discourage spamming too
    murph
    Preach. I've been thinking and observing the same.... low effort subject line-only questions, "questions" that really are just launch shills, etc. I know many, myself included, are trying to launch products. I think it is possible to have authentic exchanges annnd get the word out about whatever we're building. It just takes more effort.
    Elena Tsemirava
    Many people try to stay visible by posting all kinds of nonsense. And it works. They get noticed. Moderators could fight this, but apparently, they don't see it as necessary.
    Nathan Covey
    @elenat So are the only moderators the PH team themselves?
    Lorenz Sell
    The problem in this particular context is that many people here are building an audience to promote their products so they're trying to stay positive and say the right thing or just maintain activity. Reddit doesn't have that problem.
    Elizabeth Thompson
    I agree these discussions need more substance. Too much fluff and not enough real talk. I'm down to keep it 💯 and say what I really think, even if it's controversial. Gotta have some real back-and-forth, not just everyone agreeing to farm engagement. Count me in for making PH discussions more like Reddit convos. Let's go!
    Nathan Covey
    @elizabeththompson2 Awesome! I am going to try and do my part as well. Will be interesting to see how people respond to radical candor 🤣