My disappointment with Product Hunt

Chris Sarca
4 replies
I've been a pretty active member of this community, always willing to help and give a try to new products, I also had a pretty high streak, but that stopped a few weeks ago. The reason is pretty simple, I'm not interested in a platform where everyone can promote their 20 minutes idea as a product, and 2 days later promote the same thing under a different name and slightly different "use case". The fact that PH doesn't have some standards worries me and distances me even further from the platform. Every day we see the same products which include GPT, AI, and Notion in their name and description. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the Makers, I believe everyone should be free to promote their products, BUT... So many of them don't solve any real problems, they just try to fit in an area of imagined problems. Let's be real here for a second, because if your product is the same as the other hundred products with slightly different names and UI, it means you're not solving anything, on the contrary, everything feels cheap, and the output even cheaper. This says a lot about this platform because if you allow this to continue, it will become a place where the majority of the products are run by the same people under different names, flooding it with useless cheap products. Sincerely, A disappointed PH user

Replies

Completely agree. Personally, I find myself instinctively scrolling past any products that contain AI, GPT or Notion in their name. But what frustrates me even more are all these generic AI generated comments. Flooding discussions and product pages. These are not helpful and just add noise. "Congrats. This looks like a game changer. Can't wait to see how this will disrupt the industry!"
Chris Sarca
@timobechtel Oh, you're so right about that, it's really annoying. Sadly, I don't think PH will do anything about that, but we can hope.
Mark Pavlyukovskyy
@timobechtel the thing is that some real PH members do post comments like this haha, they do this for making the noise as much as they can do. No value - just noise
@mark_pavlyukovskyy I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional "Congrats on the launch" or "Great idea". But some comments are just so obviously copy pasted / generated.