• Subscribe
  • Monetization before app launch? And what's the right structure of monetization afterwards?

Ana B
    3 replies
    Hi everyone, I'm beginning to build a fantasy adventure exercise app - think quests/ a cozy storyline that progresses by the steps you take in real life. I wanted to work on this as a personal side project to my day job, but obviously the dream is to have the funds (or frankly, at least a general sense of interest) so I can take a sabbatical from work and do this full time. Three questions for you: 1) What are some ways folks know of monetizing a product pre-launch (while also delivering value to customers)? I'm aware of Patreon (hence the next question) and things like 'Buy Me a Coffee' for those who are interested in following the journey of an indie creator - are these the typical tools used for ongoing, slow support, or are there others that can 'validate' that people are willing to support a product post-launch? Essentially, I'm trying to determine how to make the distinction between whether people would like my app 'for free' versus whether they're willing to pay money for it. 2) These were the Patreon tiers I was thinking of setting up - let me know if you have any feedback about the offerings/ pricing: - Seedling: $3 - **Early Access Updates**: Receive regular behind-the-scenes updates on the app's development. - **Exclusive Articles**: Access to in-depth articles about the app’s development, design decisions, and future plans. - **Feature Voting**: Participate in polls to vote on new features or aspects of the game’s development. - **Digital Wallpaper**: Exclusive digital wallpapers of content in the world of the app. - **Discord Role:** Exclusive Discord Role - Sapling: $5 - All benefits in Seedling, plus: - **Game Art Creation Videos:** exclusive videos of how the app art is created - **Discord Emojis:** exclusive app-themed emojis - **Shop discounts:** 20% off all items in the app merch shop - Mature Oak: $15 - All benefits of Sapling, plus: - **Exclusive Merch**: Receive an exclusive app-themed physical item, such as a pin or a T-shirt, once every 3 months. - **Character Creator Preview**: Early access to the character creator tool, allowing you to design and preview characters before anyone else. This will be updated every time new items are created. - **Custom Items**: Receive a custom in-game item designed specifically for patrons at this tier. 3) Monetization after launch: this is mostly to make sure I'm building with a view of the future. I'm thinking of a free version that allows people access to a limited number of quests, and then a monthly fee that gives access to everything. Are there any other monetization strategies that work for a game/ app like this? E.g. I suppose I can provide deeper analytics about a person's running/ walking for a fee. What I want to avoid is monetizing in-game rewards like items or mods - there seems to be a universal repulsion for this, and even though it's profitable, I want to pass on this particular route. Thanks for your help! I'm trying to be good and get a sense of some interest before diving fully into building the product, so I appreciate any comments.

Replies

Sawyer Wyatt
    You could charge for beta testing. It’s a way to get people involved early and gather valuable feedback while also getting some funds to support development.
    Brian Perez
    You might want to look into platforms like Kickstarter or Indiegogo. These can help you raise funds before the app is fully developed.
    William M
    If you have a landing page or a website, you could set up a pre-order system. People can pay for the app in advance, which not only funds development but also shows they're ready to buy.