monday.com vs asana vs. notion?

Santeri Toivanen
17 replies

Replies

Yannick
Asana , never tried monday. Notion is much more for Knowledge management in my work process.
Andrew Hoh
I've tried all three and here's my take: - Monday has been decent for a CRM, but the performance has been slow while trying to manage a large amount of leads and customer engagements. It's the only one out of the three that's solely focused on CRMs. [Verdict: Recommend based on use case] - Asana has been good for task management and tracking. However, for engineering tasks, we're using Linear. Previously, I've found that Github issues was also good at triaging and engineering sprints (mostly because it was an open source project we were working on). For personal task tracking, I use Notion because I've found it to be the most flexible especially when tracking a wide array of tasks. [Verdict: not needed] - Notion has been great for an internal wiki (knowledge management) and personal task tracking. I've been using it more often in my personal life and work. I don't really have much complaints, it's really quite well designed. [Verdict: highly recommend]
Santeri Toivanen
@andrewhoh, thanks, Andrew! I appreciate it. We're looking for something in project management and are trying to understand the types of problems teams face. I believe teams will need more specialized project management software platforms, like Linear, in the future. Marketing teams have completely different needs than HR, etc. There's still a need for one company-wide wiki, but when it comes to getting things done, I just don't see the entire company using Asana, Monday, or Notion.
Andrew Hoh
@santeri_toivanen Agreed. Most of the companies I've worked at had a split, where there was a dominant project management tracking tool, then more niche project management tracking tools/platforms as well. In the end, across these tools, we had to really just rely on what was going to be used by the entire team and partner teams. In the end, "disagree and commit" was far better than deviating since it would create so much operational overhead (especially for filing tasks on other teams). The one time we separated to use Github for tracking was purely because we had issues tracked on the open source project. The company was consolidated on using Asana.
Daniel Zaitzow
I use notion but on the Dev side we have different processes
Daniel Zaitzow
@santeri_toivanen I like the interface better than Click-up and I primarily use it for copy / org strategy / notes - internal malleable stuff before putting it where it needs to go. I like the simplicity but can't say I've spent much time using Asana or Monday.com
Tanjir Rahman
As a SaaS Product Demo animation explainer video expert, I've used all three of these tools, and I think they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Monday.com is a great choice for teams that need a visual way to manage their work. It has a lot of features for creating and managing Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and other visual workflows. Ultimately, the best tool for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. I recommend trying out all three tools and seeing which one you like best. I hope this helps!
Santeri Toivanen
@tanjirrahman thanks dude! which did you ultimately choose?
André J
Launching soon!
Project management app? For building software or?
André J
Launching soon!
If you mean software. The hands down linear.app perfect middle ground between simplicity and feature bloat. Tana.inc looks interesting too. But feels like it will end up too bloated for its own good. I think a good idea would be to make a PM platform that was modular even hackable. Like you could piece it together like lego bricks. And use only what you need. Each module contained like SNES rom Carthages. And you could even pick where to host it.
Santeri Toivanen
@sentry_co Project management: While it's valuable, I think we'll soon see a shift from general project management software to specialized ones like Linear that cater to the unique needs of different teams.
André J
Launching soon!
@santeri_toivanen Spot on! I think there is opportunities here as well. to build something more specific. But people keep trying to make these mega project management apps. Specialized is the future IMO
The Product Dose
Here's a brief comparison to help you understand the differences based on our team experience however currently on The Product Dose we Using Notion: 1. Monday.com: - Focus: Visual project management with customizable boards. - Strengths: Highly customizable, offers a visual interface with drag-and-drop functionality, suitable for a wide range of project types. - Best For: Teams that prefer visual planning, especially those in marketing, creative, and development fields. 2. Asana: - Focus: Task and project tracking with a focus on task management and team collaboration. - Strengths: Robust task management features, timeline view, ability to create project templates, integrations with other tools. - Best For: Teams needing detailed task tracking, project planning, and coordination across various projects and teams. 3. Notion: - Focus: All-in-one workspace for note-taking, task management, and collaboration. - Strengths: Offers flexible database capabilities, combines notes, documents, tasks, and more in a single platform. - Best For: Individuals or small teams seeking a versatile platform for organizing information, tracking tasks, and collaborating on various projects. Choosing the best tool depends on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as your team's work style, the complexity of your projects, and the features that align with your workflow. It's also a good idea to take advantage of free trials to test how each tool works for your team before making a decision.
Pavel Kukhnavets
This can be a difficult choice, and it depends on what your team and your goals and projects are, as well as what features of the project management tool you prioritize. - Notion is usually used by small teams that need simple yet powerful task management. However, the tool lacks many professional features and opportunities. - Monday is good for working on mobile devices, and it provides a variety of project views. - Asana is also good for project management as it provides features for planning, task management, and budget tracking. However, many Asana alternatives still look more powerful. I think you have to try all of these tools as they offer free trials and make the best choice right for your needs and requirements.